Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vivid Black FLHX Tomorrow!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009 | 07:01 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Congrats. I too traded an '03 Dyna for my '09 RG last Sept. I drooled over that bike all the way through the '08 model year and was lucky enough to be ready for the '09. 28k miles and brought $9000 trade with MSRP on the RG. Wanted to keep it because of all the memorable rides but knew this RG would bring more of the same. I didn't get any perks other than they went to Georgia in the middle of the gas crunch to get it for no charge, next day delivery. Seemed like a good deal at the time. Kinda wish I had got a RG instead of the Lowrider the 1st time. Still miss that pipe on that Lowrider
...............So you got it broke in yet?

Attached Thumbnails Vivid Black FLHX Tomorrow!!!!!-p1010004.jpg  
Old 03-06-2009 | 07:24 PM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

not sure i like the color ...lol

Old 03-06-2009 | 09:28 PM
WORKD4IT
Road Captain
Talking

Everybody's got black... why would you want what everybody else has Your gonna love it man and ride safe!!!

Old 03-06-2009 | 09:49 PM
SC_Compact
|
Road Warrior

Went to pick up the bike around 12.00 and it wasn't ready. The rear fender had a defect in the paint and they were taking the fender off another bike to swap onto my bike. Finally hit the road aroud 03.00 sunny skies temps around 80 degrees. A buddy and I cruised the backroads of Northwest Arkansas for a couple of hours. Got about 80 miles in and will be going out again tomorrow to put a couple hundred more miles on it. I had a Corbin on my FXDI which I really liked. The factory seat REALLY stinks.

Here are my observations and questions.
The Good:
1. This bike just wants to cruise. Got up to about 65 mph but never felt the need to shift into 6th gear. Tried to keep the bike around 3000 rpm varying between 2400 up to 4000 rpm. I think that this bike is going to be a real animal on the interstate (this is one place I felt my FXDI lacked).
2. I test road a 2009 EG Std and FLHX and they seemed to have very noisy 5th gear (I know this is normal). I was pleasantly surprised because I cannot hear much difference in 5th on my FLHX.
3. Bike handles extremely well for its weight and size.
4. Ride is very nice.
5. Brembo brakes are very nice.

The Bad:
1. Stock seat is horrible and will probably be my first upgrade.

Questions/Misc:
1. I feel a little cramped compared to my FXDI with forward conrols. The dealer set the bike up with the forward shifter too low and I am going to bring the bike back to have them raise it so I can fit my foot under it.

2. The brake pedal is a little low where I can barely fit my foot under it. Can this be adjusted?

3. Not sure how I feel about the short windshield. I like the wind in my face but think I will need something a little taller for any serious touring mostly to cut down on wind noise.

4. Definitely need a set of highway pegs. I do not want the fancy highway peg mounts and I would like to avoid spending allot on the peg brackets. What are most others using to attach a set of highway pegs to the engine guards?

5. My FLHX does not have the HD thumbscrew to lock the throttle. Is this because I have crusie control?

For the most part I am very pleased with my new. Did I mention the factory seat stinks?

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:36 PM
buckwheat
Tourer

How tall are you?

I'm 6'5. I have made the following mods for height big feet.

- Free way pegs (mounted really low on my engine guards)
- Corbin Solo Seat
- Removed the heel shifter
- Bought 10" windshield from FastAire.com
- Bought an extended shift peg (Kuryakyn with adds around 1 inch or so.
- Needed to buy a George Anderson Tour Pak Relocator (so my wife wasn't crushed by me

- Am considering the Soos floorboard extensions

For wind reduction (from the wind flying up my legs while they're up on the freeway pegs)

- Lower fairings
- Fairing "Wings"
- Fork Baffle

Enjoy your ride man -

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:44 PM
nemick
Road Warrior

You're probably stuck with the brake pedal position unless you buy an after market extended pedal. I'm surprised you can't get your foot under it!! I don't think there is any adjustment on the '09 floor boards, like there was on the earlier frames.

Old 03-06-2009 | 10:52 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

nice looking scoot congrats and ride safe

Old 03-06-2009 | 11:53 PM
SC_Compact
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by buckwheat
How tall are you?

I'm 6'5. I have made the following mods for height big feet.

- Free way pegs (mounted really low on my engine guards)
- Corbin Solo Seat
- Removed the heel shifter
- Bought 10" windshield from FastAire.com
- Bought an extended shift peg (Kuryakyn with adds around 1 inch or so.
- Needed to buy a George Anderson Tour Pak Relocator (so my wife wasn't crushed by me

- Am considering the Soos floorboard extensions

For wind reduction (from the wind flying up my legs while they're up on the freeway pegs)

- Lower fairings
- Fairing "Wings"
- Fork Baffle

Enjoy your ride man -
I'm 6 ft. I'm also considerig removing the heel shifter.

Originally Posted by nemick
You're probably stuck with the brake pedal position unless you buy an after market extended pedal. I'm surprised you can't get your foot under it!! I don't think there is any adjustment on the '09 floor boards, like there was on the earlier frames.
I can just barely get my foot under. I'm thinking if the bolt to the brake pedal is removed the brake pedal could the be rotated back a little raising it.

Old 03-07-2009 | 12:04 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

sweet congrats and always ride safe