Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Metal HID

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Motorcycle Metal HID

So today I made the purchase with Howard at Motor Cycle metal and went with their HID upgrade for my 2008 Street Glide. The bike is at the shop right now having some work done so I will be dropping off the light and instructions with my mechanic. I chose not to buy his aux switch because my street glide already has one that I am going to use to turn the headlight on and off after starting the bike.

I printed out the instructions for install as well as the wiring diagram for the mechanic. Is there anything I should know or advice for me to pass on before the install. Howard did his best to explain things to me, but in all honesty I was not tracking so much. He finished by saying its extremely easy, so I guess we will see.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage12.html

Nick

Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM
artc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great lamp setup. I got mine about a year ago.

The install in easy.
Hint, remove the gas tank to run the wire to the battery.

Good luck....

Old 03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser

I guess the part that confuses me is which wires to cut. Hopefully that's explained in the instructions and how to wire up the aux switch.

Nick

Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Thanks Nick

Nick, Call me with the mechanic anytime or give him the card with my toll free # and I will go over it with him. I have included in this drawing how to install an interuptor switch (switch on right hand column 2/3 or the way down and instructions how to wire up a set of HID/Halogen piggyback bulbs so you can run Halogen w/wo a modulator during the day and HID (3) 35 watt HID lamps at night. You can do this with any bike but due to hiding the ballasts it is better to do it on Baggers.

to do this

Old 03-05-2009, 09:23 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you use these, you won't have to hide the ballast because they are self contained.
http://www.trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html

Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Nick, Call me with the mechanic anytime or give him the card with my toll free # and I will go over it with him. I have included in this drawing how to install an interuptor switch (switch on right hand column 2/3 or the way down and instructions how to wire up a set of HID/Halogen piggyback bulbs so you can run Halogen w/wo a modulator during the day and HID (3) 35 watt HID lamps at night. You can do this with any bike but due to hiding the ballasts it is better to do it on Baggers.

to do this
I have a couple of questions......
I'm about saving money and getting to learn my SG. Can I do this on my own without having to go to the dealer? What is the color number on your kit i.e. 4300? I would like for mine to look like it came with the SG and not that ugly blue purple looking light. What other options would I have? I have been looking for a HID kit besides harley and have yet to find one. Maybe you can change that?
Wally

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Dustydog
Intermediate

I got my headlight last Sept. and love it. The light is white and I can see much better at night,

Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dustydog
I got my headlight last Sept. and love it. The light is white and I can see much better at night,
Dustydog,

How easy was the wiring? I passed on the box and instructions to my mechanic this weekend. My only concern is him figuring out the wiring for the aux switch. If all the instructions come in the box I am sure he will figure it out.

Nick

Old 03-16-2009, 09:39 AM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser

Hey Howard, thanks for the follow up call. As of right now the light still has yet to be installed. The entire bike was stripped of all its chrome and sent out for powdercoat. The bike should go back together this week, so I will keep you up to date with the light.

Nick

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser
Exclamation

So today I had the kit installed by my mechanic, minus the aux switch. I found that every 3-4 times I turned the ignition switch on before starting the bike, at least once or so I had a malfunction with the light coming on. If the light didn't come on (before I hit run on the handlebars) I found myself turning he ignition off then back on. Most times the light ended up coming back on after a couple cycles of on and off. Anytime I turned the ignition switch on, and started the bike the light always continued to stay on if it was on to begin with.

I guess I am a bit confused as to why the light most of the time came on after turning the ignition to on, but then every so often the light would not work? If the light had turned on with the ignition in the on position, then quit after the bike was started, I could see where there might be a power issue and a need for an aux switch. But every time the light came on, after the bike was started I never had the light shut off. I also don't get why no other kit out there uses an aux switch with their HID kit? Anyone else care to shed some light on this. I am not to mechanically inclined so I am having a hard time grasping the idea and how to install the switch. Anyone here ever have this experience? Any help would be great.

Nick

(For the record....Howard has been a great source of help, and has never once denied any of my calls. I posted this thread just to get some ideas from other customers of his who have this light.......)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Metal HID