Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best AIR FUEL RATIO

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
It's not a generic diagnostic code reader from Auto Zone, its a purpose built harware/software package that allows you to manipulate and reprogram your factory ECM, no different than any other software you buy, you can load it on only one computer, unless you purchase a corporate license. I believe you can purchase a multiple bike license with the TTS.
You can't get a corporate licence but you can buy a 2 bike dongle, or send yours back to be upgraded to one if you change bikes and don't want to give it to the new owner. With any of these types of tuners you can data log anyones bike, they are only married to the one bike for programming. As long as you are running the bike in closed loop you can set your cruise area to 14.6 with a clb around 760 or lambda .981-.988. Your o2 or lambda sensors will be able to adjust for different fuels. If you are running open then you will need to adjust accordingly and set your cruise afr to 14.2-3, or lambda .967-.974 to be safe.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 PM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
.................. With any of these types of tuners you can data log anyones bike, they are only married to the one bike for programming. ...............
OK, that makes a little more sense. I can go with that. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I saw "last post" by fabrik8r and thought cool, let's see what he's got to say. Usually some pretty good perspectives when it comes to technical issues.

Then I read the post and all it's talking about is some software licensing.

****! I was hoping for something better than that LOL.
Sorry bout that, My TTS knowledge limited, but I am working on a post that you will be interested in though.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I hear it. It's like the ECM isn't pulling out enough advance when it starts to ping.

I'm not all that up to speed on exactly how the knock prevention works. I do understand the basics behind it, but not all of its intracacies.
I'm in the same boat, but do know that with at least two flash-based tuners (PV and TTS) you can specify the maximum amount of retard that can be implemented. The default on my '07 was 8° but I lowered it to 4°. The retard function senses "incipient knock" and can sometimes snuff-out the audible part before it happens, but if you have a problem you can usually get an audible knock by going to the range that induces it and sharply crack the throttle open and put the engine under a load. Before I bought the PV and could monitor this I would raise spark advance until I got the audible knock, then back-off 2°. That was the way I tuned it and after getting the PV verified that this was indeed where it needed to be. I'm actually able to add 1-3° in the cruise range even with the 255 cams and lean AFRs I'm using.

Last edited by iclick; 11-16-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The retard function senses "incipient knock" and can sometimes snuff-out the audible part before it happens,
The knock retard is a "reaction" to the event. When it removes timing it is a fast knock retard that removes much more timing than needed. If you see 4 degrees on a data log you have to look back a few frames to see what caused the event. Then as a general rule of thumb remove half of what you see.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I hear it. It's like the ECM isn't pulling out enough advance when it starts to ping.
BTW, when it starts to ping and you keep the engine under load, does the detonation stop or decrease? It should if the knock-retard function is working properly, assuming spark advance isn't far outside of its ideal setting. I don't know about your new bike, but my '07 will pull out 8° with the default setting, and that should be enough to stop the noise soon after it starts. As I mentioned earlier this setting is adjustable with TTS and PV, possibly other flash-based tuners too. Anyone know if SEPST will do this?

FWIW but slightly OT, my datalogs almost always show some intermittent false-knock on the front cylinder, usually evident several times during a datalog run. It usually retards up to 2° (rarely the maximum 4°) and lasts only a second or less, and if I adjust by retarding the spark-advance in that area it doesn't change the behavior. I once pulled-out 10° as an experiment and it still occurred. Jamie said this is not uncommon and to just run it, as it won't hurt anything, and that makes sense to me. There's no audible knock when this happens and it only occurs at about ~20% TP (~60 KPA) and 2000-2300 rpm, which is very light load at cruising speed.

Last edited by iclick; 11-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrianG
One wouldn't expect that you'd feel much difference in seat-of-the-pants performance evaluation between a good EFI map and an across the board 13:1 spec since 13.0 is just about best power AFR for normally aspirated engines. Many early mechanical FI units were designed for 13:1 across the board. The advantage of EFI over mechanical FI is that the programmer can create a map that leans the AFR away from best-power where it is not needed, and thereby improve mileage.
This is the way I've tuned ever since my PCIII days and it works very well on this bike. I don't understand all the hoopla over richer AFRs in the cruise range, as I feel little or no difference in throttle-response nor radiated heat. I do run an oil-cooler which keeps peak temps in control, and I think this makes a big difference. As I mentioned before, I ran some tests on an 85° day running 13.5 and 14.6 during a backroads cruise and saw only 7° difference in FCHT and oil temps didn't change at all that I could see on my HD fairing-mounted gauge.

I only keep the richer map (13.0 across-the-board) for those times when the bike heats up more than I'm comfortable with. When oil-temps hit 230° and CHT is >300° I start to think about the switch. With the PCV I could flip a switch on-the-fly and achieve the change, but with PV I must stop the engine and flash the ECM on the side of the road with the display unit that I always have attached to the handlebars. I only had to do this once this past summer.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
BTW, when it starts to ping and you keep the engine under load, does the detonation stop or decrease? It should if the knock-retard function is working properly, assuming spark advance isn't far outside of its ideal setting...
No it does not. I have zeroed the timing tables in my map so the timing is at factory levels.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
The knock retard is a "reaction" to the event. When it removes timing it is a fast knock retard that removes much more timing than needed. If you see 4 degrees on a data log you have to look back a few frames to see what caused the event. Then as a general rule of thumb remove half of what you see.
I mentioned my "false knock events" in an earlier post. The event happens only on the front cylinder at about 20% TP and 70 KPA at my usual cruising RPM (2200-2500), a condition I might see in a strong headwind at 65mph in 6th gear. I've retarded up to 10° and the events continue, so Jamie advised that I leave it alone with no adjustment. In my last datalog run it happened once and lasted <1 sec., starting at 2° retard and decreasing in .5° increments until it stops. When I look back at the datalog, the conditions usually have not changed at all, happening as KPA and TP had stayed the same for quite a bit of time before that. Attached are three JPGs that represent one of these events. The columns (left to right) represent sequence, time, CHT °F, TP, Lambda 1, Lambda2, RPM, Spark Knock F, Spark Knock R, Set AFR, MAP, VE New F, VE New R, Acel Enr, Warm-up AFR. This particular event goes up to about 2700 rpm, but I usually see it only below 2500. Also note that Lambda was quite lean when it started (1.04), but that isn't always the case and I've seen it start at 1.0 or even lower. This is the only datalog I have on hand right now, so my examples are limited.

Attached Thumbnails best AIR FUEL RATIO-csv1.jpg   best AIR FUEL RATIO-csv2.jpg   best AIR FUEL RATIO-csv3.jpg  

Last edited by iclick; 11-16-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

No it does not. I have zeroed the timing tables in my map so the timing is at factory levels.
I wonder if knock control has been turned off on your bike. If you bought it new that shouldn't happen unless you attached a flash-based tuner and made changes, but since you run a PCV I would imagine that hasn't happened. Have you checked with the dealer to get it looked at in warranty? What is their attitude about installing third-party tuners?

Quick Reply: best AIR FUEL RATIO