Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add a Tour Pack - QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add a Tour Pack - QUESTIONS

I need some input from those of you who've done this already. I want to add a Tour pack to my Road Glide (2009) and have not found the answer to several questions, not even from any Dealers or web sites. Hoping some of you have done this already and can answer.

1. If I choose an Ultra King Tour pack, it will come predrilled for speakers but I don't plan to add the speakers. HOW did you cover or plug the predrilled holes? (any pics?)

2. If I choose a regular King Tour Pack (no lights) and I wanted to add the rear light bar to it, how difficult is it to add the light bar? It appears to me that the tour box needs to be cut open at the corners to accomodate the lights? (Don't know if I want to cut up a $700 box)

3. One internet Dealer is telling me he believes the Ultra Tour Pack comes with the wiring harness ready to go. Another tells me I need to buy an "unterconnect harness". Anybody know for sure?

4. If I buy the King Tour Pack and wanted to put the "Chopped Pad Set" on it instead of the Ultra styled pads, will the chopped pads cover over the pre-existing holes that are already in the box for the Ultra Pad set?

I don't want to spend all this money on a King box and wind up with extra holes in it. I want a King Box with lights, not the chopped pack and not the plain King. It's allot of money guys so I hope some of you can shed some light on this for me? Much Thanks!

Old 03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

Have Ultra Pak.

Has holes for speakers. Had speakers. Got rid of them...could not hear them anyway and do not have passenger. Filled in holes with plastic "grommet?" type things found at hardware store...held in place by black silicone adhesive.

Have Corbin passenger pad. Can see in image.

Had to buy wiring harness separately...like everything else HD..."oh, do you want the mounting hardware for that also?"

'06 RG

Attached Thumbnails Add a Tour Pack  - QUESTIONS-tour-pak-web.jpg  

Last edited by 16X9 Shooter; 03-05-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy the one for the EDIT Streetglide it won't have any holes in it. That's what I did and had to drill holes, not a big deal.

Page 394 of the 09 touring catalog. Here's a link if it works.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by Akitakoi; 03-05-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
If you buy the one for the Roadglide it won't have any holes in it. That's what I did and had to drill holes.

Page 394 of the 09 touring catalog. Here's a link if it works.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US
The Parts and Accy. catalog and the HD website both say that the Road Glide box is predrilled for speakers. Two versions, the regular King (no lights) and the Ultra version with lights, also has the speaker holes in it..

FROM THE CATALOG:
Road Glide Tour-Pak® Lugage
Turn your Road Glide model into a complete cross-country touring
machine. Available in both Classic and Ultra versions, these King Tour-Pak
luggage systems are Color-Matched to Road Glide solid color, solid color
with pinstripes, and two-tone factory paint finishes. Tour-Pak is pre-drilled
for locking hardware and passenger backrest (sold separately).
Tour-Pak mounting racks are sold separately.
Dimensions: 22" W × 16" L × 11" H. Capacity 3850 cubic inches.

Road Glide Classic Tour-Pak features pre-mounted antenna
base and side marker lights.

Road Glide Ultra Tour-Pak is pre-drilled for rear speaker boxes.
Ultra Tour-Pak includes radio antenna base, CB antenna base and loading
coil, side marker lights, and wrap-around tail lamp assembly.

Last edited by RODEO; 03-05-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry meant the Steetglide. Does not come with the wire harness.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Street Glide, Road Glide, it don't matter. There are basically just two choices for the King Pack.

One had no speaker holes but also NO Lights and the other has Speaker holes AND Lights. I want the Lights for sure but dont want all those extra holes unless there is a good way to cover them or make them look decent. My bike is RED. Wondering how others have accomplised this mod.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
I need some input from those of you who've done this already. I want to add a Tour pack to my Road Glide (2009) and have not found the answer to several questions, not even from any Dealers or web sites. Hoping some of you have done this already and can answer.

1. If I choose an Ultra King Tour pack, it will come predrilled for speakers but I don't plan to add the speakers. HOW did you cover or plug the predrilled holes? (any pics?)

2. If I choose a regular King Tour Pack (no lights) and I wanted to add the rear light bar to it, how difficult is it to add the light bar? It appears to me that the tour box needs to be cut open at the corners to accomodate the lights? (Don't know if I want to cut up a $700 box) Not difficult. Stop by an HD store and ask the parts guy to print out the installation instructions that come with the Ultra light bar in the accessory catalog (or PM Dawg).

3. One internet Dealer is telling me he believes the Ultra Tour Pack comes with the wiring harness ready to go. Another tells me I need to buy an "unterconnect harness". Anybody know for sure? When you are at the dealership getting the instructions mentioned in #2, ask him to print out what's included with the PN tour pak you are considering. I purchased a new '08 Ultra TP bottom and it included the harness.

4. If I buy the King Tour Pack and wanted to put the "Chopped Pad Set" on it instead of the Ultra styled pads, will the chopped pads cover over the pre-existing holes that are already in the box for the Ultra Pad set?
All of the King TP's will come with holes for mounting the passenger backrest which includes two holes on each side of the lid that will be visible if you install a Choppted backrest.
I don't want to spend all this money on a King box and wind up with extra holes in it. I want a King Box with lights, not the chopped pack and not the plain King. It's allot of money guys so I hope some of you can shed some light on this for me? Much Thanks!
Also, Zanotti's is very good about answering the questions you pose, especially regarding the harness.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RODEO
Street Glide, Road Glide, it don't matter. There are basically just two choices for the King Pack.

One had no speaker holes but also NO Lights and the other has Speaker holes AND Lights. I want the Lights for sure but dont want all those extra holes unless there is a good way to cover them or make them look decent. My bike is RED. Wondering how others have accomplised this mod.
I guess what I was trying to say is if you don't want the speaker holes you have to buy one with no holes and put holes in it for the rear lights. It's really not very hard to do.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you considered the Chopped Tour Pack? It doesn't have the holes for the speakers pre-drilled, you can obviously use the backrest you like and there is a light kit available that mounts on the top (LED). Just a thought. Otherwise you'd better off going with the King Tour Pack.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 16X9 Shooter
Have Ultra Pak.

Had to buy wiring harness separately...like everything else HD..."oh, do you want the mounting hardware for that also?"
You never can tell, someone may want to buy a Tour Pak and not mount it, so they keep the mounting hardware separate for those customers. Coffee table base? Storage trunk for your closet?

Quick Reply: Add a Tour Pack - QUESTIONS