Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dusty bike after every ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
willie37
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dusty bike after every ride

I have never owned a bagger before so this may sound funny to some of you but after riding today on dry roads with lots of rain the last few days, meaning they should be clean. I get home and the back of the bike looks like i have been riding logging roads in august. I know Corvettes get this way because of the static electric charge but i never thought a bike would do this. Has anyone ever hung a static strip down to the ground and if so did it work. Or is there some kind of spray you can spray on and wipe off to cut the charge.

Attached Thumbnails Dusty bike after every ride-img_2482.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after a ride, I use a California duster to remove crap. then a few quick spritzes of any quick detailer to loosen the rest of the crap and wipe off with a clean microfiber towel.

have not tried the static strip.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

You mean we're spose ta clean this thangs ?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are married, are you not!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
mile high king
Tourer

Mine gets very dusty as well (leather bags). I never really thought about whether the shape of the bike, the airflow around it, etc. would cause one bike to attract more dust than the other. Also, on the Vette comment, are you suggesting that the fiberglass body reacts different than a steel bodied car??? even though they are both painted? Never gave it much thought, but sure do notice allot of dust on my bagger too!

Originally Posted by willie37
I have never owned a bagger before so this may sound funny to some of you but after riding today on dry roads with lots of rain the last few days, meaning they should be clean. I get home and the back of the bike looks like i have been riding logging roads in august. I know Corvettes get this way because of the static electric charge but i never thought a bike would do this. Has anyone ever hung a static strip down to the ground and if so did it work. Or is there some kind of spray you can spray on and wipe off to cut the charge.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wipe it down, although I don't do it after every ride, just when I'm in the mood at least once a week, and I ride everyday.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes dust is a constant problem for me also where I live here in the high desert at 4200' elevation. I'm on a dirt road that's 2 miles to the nearest pavement from my home - so the dust is worse than most. The roads here are decomposed granite and the dust is very abrasive. I don't dare use a Calif Duster or even wipe it down with a damp cloth lest I get serious swirls/scratches. I blow it off with my air compressor and get the loose/heavy dust off the bike and that's it. I keep the bike covered with a big queen-sized fitted sheet when it's in the garage. I wash the bike every other week with warm soapy water and then use a chamois to dry it in the shade - followed by an immediate polishing with Lemon Pledge - and that keeps it looking pretty decent.

Be careful about dust, it can be very abrasive depending on the environment you're in.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM
pirateheadman
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I figure it's from the shape of the bags making a vacuum on the back, sort of like a tailgate. Maybe those bag lid spoilers would help. The rear of the bags are always the dustiest part of my bike.

Cheers!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by willie37
Wash Your Bike, then Detail it with Lemon Pledge, which will keep the dust off. I do this once a week with excellant results.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
NavyPT
Road Master

I don't believe that the collection of dust and dirt is a bagger problem primarily. My Deluxe rear fender gets plenty ugly after riding as well. It is white so it is quite noticeable. I doubt that this is a static electricity problem though.

Quick Reply: Dusty bike after every ride