Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dusty bike after every ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a static-electricity thing. Most waxes attract dust, I'm always on the lookout for something that actually repels dust (shouldn't really be that hard to do, should it?). I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried a static strip successfully, should be easy enough to mount one under the bike where it doesn't really show. This was an issue on my RKC, my SG, and I expect it to be an issue on the Ultra too...

Fact of life. I love to ride, but I also like a clean bike. Sucks when it's dusty right after I ride to work after washing it...

Old 03-05-2009, 04:58 AM
alstrud
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most of that dust is brake dust from the stock pads. I found that after I switched to aftermarket pads (Lyndall), it drastically cut down on the dust! I haven't changed the pads on the wife's Street Glide yet and I notice a HUGE difference in the amount of brake dust generated. Her bags always gets covered in a thin layer of black dust in no time at all while mine are still mostly clean...just my .02

BTW, unless I've got a ride planned, my Saturday morning routine is cleaning both bikes (Ultra and Street Glide) to a spotless shine...it takes a while, but it's definitely worth it. We then spend the afternoon riding and usually end up at a biker/classic car meet that happens every Saturday near the Hotel National along the Malecon in Havana. I think the Cubans are absolutely amazed that our bikes are NEVER dirty.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

a dirty bike, is a ridden bike
a spotless bike, is a cleaned bike

How we spend our time, is a personal decision......
I pick riding/dirty

Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I own Ultra and Corvette. No such thing about static. Both of them get ultimately dirty and dusty after a day's worth of riding. I didn't care as long as those toys put smile on my face.

If you got the time to play with your woman under the sheet...Do the very same for your bike or other toys. Play, Ride, Wash and Dry goes into repetitive circles.

Tend to tease my Linda by telling her I'm horny...Time for me to go out and play with my other significant. She smiles, laugh, roll her eyes and say, "Go on...Make my day rough"...LOL !.

Bottom Line: Toys will get dirty no matter what. Just enjoy them.

Thorey

Old 03-05-2009, 07:03 AM
so165
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can wash it ,dry it, and wax it then put it in the garage overnight and in the am there will be dust all over it, I hate it.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

DUST HAPPENS! The more you ride, the more dust collects. Ride less, less dust. Don't fight it, just embrace the lil' Dust Bunnies. A dusty bike is a well ridden bike and miles of smiles to go along with it.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:01 AM
willie37
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

OK i will just ride it and wash it once a week or so and polish it. This is my first bagger and has a lot more area to wash and polish so i guess i am just ****. Thanks for the great responses.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't let cleaning my bike interfere with riding it, but I always find the time when I wouldn't be riding anyway to keep it clean.

My '05 heritage was the first new bike I ever owned. I was bound and determined to keep it looking new and I did. I do the same with my SG. I have found that if you never let it get too far gone, it is relatively quick and easy to bring it back to new looking. If you make a habit of letting it get real dirty for prolonged periods of time, it takes alot to bring it back.

Dennis

Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by willie37
OK i will just ride it and wash it once a week or so and polish it. This is my first bagger and has a lot more area to wash and polish so i guess i am just ****. Thanks for the great responses.

Don't worry about being ****. Welcome to owning a Harley.

Even when travelling across country, I usually wipe down my bike every morning outside the motel room before taking off ( I sometimes do it in the PM when I stop for the day if it is still daylight). I like the way a shiny Harley looks. Cleaning it on a trip is also a way to discover if anything has come loose or needs mechanical attention.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Just part of owning a bagger. They seem to collect more dust then other bikes. It is what it is!!

Quick Reply: Dusty bike after every ride