Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody run a leather road king tour pack on a RG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:19 AM
chasd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody run a leather road king tour pack on a RG?

I saw one in another post all blacked out with leather bags and leather tour pack. Got me thinking how would it look with the stock hard bags and with a color other than black. I don't need to store full face helmet, the size seems OK for light travel. If anyone has one a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 AM
chasd
Cruiser

That's the one that made me think of it. I had a leather tour pack on my 02 heritage that was adequate but the look with the leather bags worked. Not sure how it might look on my (same as your 09 Red Hot Sunglow) bike with stock bags. Going detatchable. Will end up being 250 cheaper (back rest is built in) but looks matter.

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm torn between detachable versus fixed mount and am leaning towards fixed. Once on the bike, I'll use it allot and probably carry a full face helmet most of the time (in case of rain). I've seen a photo somewhere of a bike like you mentioned, with a leather tour pack, I think in this months edition of HOG and it looks good too.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
I'm torn between detachable versus fixed mount and am leaning towards fixed. Once on the bike, I'll use it allot and probably carry a full face helmet most of the time (in case of rain). I've seen a photo somewhere of a bike like you mentioned, with a leather tour pack, I think in this months edition of HOG and it looks good too.
All my friends that have a top box never take it off! They get used to the extra luggage. IMO I think it would look nice with the leather one.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM
chasd
Cruiser

I just ordered the leather tourpack and rack from LSH at 20% off and free shipping If I don't like it I can sell it for most if not all my money back. I went with the one from the 08 CVO Road King instead of the basket weave. Thanks for the input!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Cost appears to be a significant consideration for you since you seem to prefer avoiding the cost of a new King Tour Pak. If so, consider the Mutazu aftermarket TP's. Many HDF'ers, myself included, find them to be an excellent value and they are available in some HD colors. I've had a black one for 3+ years and consider it an excellent value at $110 with backrest and lock.

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...ies&s=prod.php

I also have an HD King TP on a detachable two-up rack and almost never use it because the Mutazu holds 80-85% of what the King TP holds, and weighs about 1/3 what the King weighs so it's much easier to grab the Mutazu and put it on the bike for errands needing additional storage space; otherwise, the TP's stay off the bike.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
I'm torn between detachable versus fixed mount and am leaning towards fixed.
I recommend the detachable. Leave it on as long as you want, remove it for cleaning the fender or for solo rides when you don't need the storage and don't want the pizza delivery boy look

Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Now this is a nice leather tour pack....
-

Old 03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
wbeem
Tourer

Originally Posted by Johan96
All my friends that have a top box never take it off! They get used to the extra luggage. IMO I think it would look nice with the leather one.
I tend to agree, but I still went with the detachable. There are still a few times when I want to take it off for a ride, and I generally pull it off and the leather saddlebags on my RKC when I wash the bike. It's nice to have the option.

Quick Reply: Anybody run a leather road king tour pack on a RG?