Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Ultra ABS Brake Squeeeeel Fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Razerman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry 2008 Ultra ABS Brake Squeeeeel Fix

OK- Who has the Fix for this Poor excuse for brake pad material the EPA said HD had to use?
Lindall What?? I don't want to tear up my rotors with some fancy brake pads, I've been to the shop at least 7 times over the last year, all they keep doing is refacing the pad and cleaning up the rotor and today tell me I need new pads,,,,,,,,Jesus man, they took half the life of the pad with there grinder!
(sorry about involving Jesus) He knows I've been pizzed off for a long time..Damn bike sounds like a old 10 speed with squeeky breaks...Just not cool to sell a bike like that..
Help me out guys- Quality brake pads that someone uses and cured the squeel for good.
Thanks.....vent......@$#%**&###$!!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Richpend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a green scouring pad with some cameo power and water, wash the disc off, will last for a good 800 miles or so without the squeeky sound then wash them again!!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have found that the squeal is usually caused by the back of the pad, not the surface. I have been known to carefully apply some anti-seize compound between the pad and the piston. It worked for me, but be damned careful not to get any on the pad material or disc.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They make brake pad specific stuff (can't think of the name) to put on the back of the pads.

Not sure what you you're saying... the Lyndall pads are not hard on rotors.

I don't think the EPA had anything to do with what pads HD uses. I think it was the low bid. Years ago pad material contained asbestos and that can no longer be used for obvious reasons.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

I feel your pain. My riding buddies all say, "here comes squeeky" when I approach a stop light. Drives me nuts.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

http://home.comcast.net/~bertkk/HDPi...ad_Service.jpg

here is the service bulletin that specificly addresses the "brake squeel" on all the 08 touring modles and 09 touring bikes built on or before 07-07-08.

Burn a copy off, hand it to your service department, and if they give you any lip, tell em you can't hear them cuz you are deaf from the daym brake squeel noise

Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

To avoid confusion, it should be mentioned that, even though you have "ABS" in your title, the brake squeal problem is not limited to bikes with ABS. It's a brake pad problem. My buddy and I both have '08 models: he has a non-ABS Street Glide while I have an ABS-equipped Electra Glide. They both squeal like pigs at feeding time.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

I got new rear pads when they put on new tires and the squeal is gone!!! I guess that they used the paste in the above post.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default squealer...

...I've got one too. 2008 Ultra sans ABS. My bud has an '03 Fatboy with the same affliction.
I just lock up the rear tire when stopping. No sqealing this way!

Seriously, I should have had this taken care of before nice weather approaches. My mistake.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Like DZLDR said, there is a bulletin and kit that came out last year. Soon as it did, I brought my bike in. I put 1500 miles on it since, so far, no rear brake squeal. It is a vibration problem that makes the squeal. You should not have to buy new pads. If your dealer doesn't know of the bulletin and kit to correct the problem, go to another dealer!
If you do a search, there should be a lot about the rear brake squeal, not sure it it's an issue on the 09's.

Quick Reply: 2008 Ultra ABS Brake Squeeeeel Fix