Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying spare parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 04:23 PM
Beercan321
|
Tourer
Default Buying spare parts

Do you hoard parts or keep spare parts for your bike even though you never use them? I always look at eBay and CraigsList for deals. I’ve purchased spare parts for my Road King even though I’ve never used them. I recently got a fantastic deal on a set of leather bags for my bike. The bags on my bike are fine. I figured having a spare set of bags can’t hurt. If I ever laid the bike down I’d have extra bags on hand. Having some spare parts makes sense to me. Unfortunately my wife doesn’t see it that way. I only buy stuff if I can get a really good deal on it. Maybe I’ll use the stuff, maybe I won’t. Regardless I can always resell it if I don’t.

So does anyone else buy extra parts for their bike or am I crazy for doing it?

Old 03-03-2009 | 04:28 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Just took a bunch of stuff off my Electra Glide Classic... horn, stock shield, air cleaner cover, boards going soon. If any of that stuff may interest ya, PM me for a list.

BB

Old 03-03-2009 | 06:27 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

I collected some extra painted parts for my wifes TUTONE 2003 Sportster because I knew that parts would be scarce after a short time.

Old 03-03-2009 | 06:37 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

I've got new factory painted fenders, two sets of bags, 3 rear wheels, about 15 brake rotors, two sets of jugs, one set of heads, a complete FI system, 3 seats, a NIB tank, a NIB color matched headlight nacelle, a half a dozen pairs of brake pads, a clutch cable, a new taillight assembly, a couple of factory cans color matched paint, and the list goes on.

Old 03-03-2009 | 07:35 PM
TooManyToyz
6th Gear

I don't seem to be able to throw any parts away. I still have a set of stock pipes that came off a Shovelhead I bought new in '81.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:13 PM
molsen
Road Master

I was like that when I started with HD, then I realized I am gathering too much stuff. I had to get rid of some of it. Now with the '07 I only keep what I need. No need for hording. I feel e-bay can supply me what I need. If not then I refer to my parts manual and order online.

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:52 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

Some parts become obsolete. If you are planning on keeping your bike for the long haul, buying common wear out parts now while they are easy to get and cheap is wise, IMO. Sure, you can get '07 parts now on eBay easily, but what about in 10+ years?

Old 03-03-2009 | 10:12 PM
tazer1
Advanced

I sell all my extra parts, if I lay it down, insurance should take care of it (hopefully). Might not be a great idea, but I don't keep any extra parts.

Old 03-03-2009 | 10:50 PM
myred55
Road Master

I sell my extra parts / take-off's on e-bay.

Attached Thumbnails Buying spare parts-dsc04566r.jpg  
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:35 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Iam on the fence on this i have sold alot of take off stuff but have also kept some. like stock tailight, stock headlight, mirrors, derby cover and timming cover etc. I keep thinking about selling them but most you won't get much out of.

And then i think well **** if i went out in the morning and some reason the headlight was broke it only take me cpl min to put the OEM back on and be riding.

Quick Reply: Buying spare parts