Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bang for sound system buck ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobberino
price wise, anything specifically built for a HD is over priced......good example is hawg wired. dont get me wrong, its a great product, just over priced. i went with a alpine pdx 4.100. i got it way cheaper than the 300 watt hawg wired amp and really sounds clean. I also have a alpine deck and as of right no have 2 6x9's in the bags and 5.25 infinity kappa speakers in the dash and so far so good. I might change the infinity's later on and go with alpine r series coaxials, but not sure yet. Im happy with my setup right now.
Bang for the buck, I'd go with that mini arc amp, and just pick aftermarket 5.25 speakers.

So you think the mini arc is better than the Alpine you purchased ???

Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You spend all this money on a nice head unit and good speakers. What do you do when you wash it or ride in the rain? How do you cover the head unit and the speakers from getting damaged? I know the logical answer would be dont wash it or ride in the rain.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any biketronics 6.5 xl reviews?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

get more than you think you want -- it's like motors enough is never enough

I have this set up on three bikes and has not failed yet--even riding through a monson in Panama City Fl

1. Kenwood KVT 512 head unit with 7 screen

2. Infinity Kappa's in the fairing

3. Infinity Tweeters in the fairing

4. Pioneer 6x9 pro series in the bags

5. Alpine PDX 4x150 amp on the bag latch it mounts perfectly there

This is the standard system for clean sound that you can hear blocks away--or course I would never play it that loud nor would I do wheelies on a RG

Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

RanMan ,,,,,,,,

we recently tested the new Biketronics 6.5's with their mounting adapter in our R&D shop in Tucson, comparing them to the J&M performance speaker upgrades, on the same bike, using the same CD, set at the same volume level ,,,,, with a decibel meter 12" above the center of the seat ,,,,

we were very surprised when the J&M speakers were 4-db LOUDER than the Biketronics speakers ,,,,,, because with the size of the biketronics speakers, we expected them to be at least as good ,,,,

The J&M speakers were not only louder, but had better sound, especially at the highest volume levels ,,,,

also ,, the biketronics speakers were VERY HEAVY and this can cause the mounting studs inside the inner fairing to break off while you ride ,,,,,

JMJOHN ,,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,,,

Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ranman469
did you mount the 5.25 or the 6.5 bostons?? thanks
Just the 5.25. I bought the Rockin' Rings and tried cutting and molesting one of the rings to get it to work with the 6.5 (with the vari-mount tweeter), but all I accomplished was fugging it up instead. After that, I didn't feel like messing with it anymore. I still have the 6.5 set sitting in my garage, might see if I can get the Biketronics rings to work if they ever sell them separate.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
ranman469
Road Master

thanks, if you ever get them to fit, please let me know.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have adapter rings being made right now that will be done by early next week. They are thinner than the rockin' rings to allow for a broader speaker choice and will be about $30 cheaper with free shipping included. They are CNC cut and should be able to fit most 6-1/2" speakers out there on the market. I personally am running the 6-1/2"s in the fairing with one 125.2 mini under the fairing running those, and another 125.2 running 6x9's in the bags hooked into the "aux" switch so they can be turned on and off running down the road. It sounds better than my house system. The ARC 125.2 mini is a great amp for what we do on these bikes. You get what you pay for!

Aaron

Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
ranman469
Road Master

Originally Posted by AaronOregon
I have adapter rings being made right now that will be done by early next week. They are thinner than the rockin' rings to allow for a broader speaker choice and will be about $30 cheaper with free shipping included. They are CNC cut and should be able to fit most 6-1/2" speakers out there on the market. I personally am running the 6-1/2"s in the fairing with one 125.2 mini under the fairing running those, and another 125.2 running 6x9's in the bags hooked into the "aux" switch so they can be turned on and off running down the road. It sounds better than my house system. The ARC 125.2 mini is a great amp for what we do on these bikes. You get what you pay for!

Aaron

put me in for a set of the rings

randy

Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ranman469
thanks, if you ever get them to fit, please let me know.
Will do. I'll have to check out these rings from AaronOregon as well.

Quick Reply: Best bang for sound system buck ??