Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another docking hardware rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry another docking hardware rant

bought a passenger backrest off a forum member for my 08 flht and a new docking kit 53803-06 and figured i had it built...first thing.. look at destructions..chuck said retarded destructions..all goes well till i realize bracket "k" that connects the docking points comes with the sissy bar upright kit not the docking kit,,, how $%#^$7 stupid is that...back to moco tomorrow..geez two 5 inch..flat straps..why not put them in the docking kit

Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell, I had to go to the dealer to have them "finish" putting my docking hardware on. Ridiculously difficult for something so simplistic. And horrible instructions... Line drawings would've been far better than the "photos" (for lack of better terminology) that they attempted to use...

Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a hell of a time putting on the docking hardware for my detach tour pack and I have since broken off both the thumb pieces on the clamps. They really need to have better directions, maybe an online video of how to install accessories, god knows we spend enough on the stuff.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Volfan615
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the two point docking hardware and detachable sissy bar this past Friday and took all of about 20 min. The hardest part was attaching the backrest pad to the bar.

It's really pretty easy to install and remove the bar once you figure it out.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you use a bic lighter to burn the instructions prior to reading them, It will be a simple installation. I spent 30 min. trying to figure them out, then I got mad and threw them away and in 5 min. had it figured out. Pretty simple without the stupid instructions.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, i have to tell ya guys, i might have just got lucky that day, but other than getting a few of the fasteners to line up correctly, i dind't have any trouble installing the docking hardware for both the sissybar and the tour pak. First time for everything, seems just about every other "easy" job takes forever!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am having trouble getting mine installed as well...even with the moats directions...I can rebuild a small block chevy....but cant get this thing installed....I feel stupid....I guess thats because I am stupid. No biggie....no passengers lately anyway.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
orbit
Road Captain
Received 389 Likes on 214 Posts

I used the parts diagram to figure out how the docking kit for my detachable back rest went together.

Sadly, it took me 45 minutes to figure that out.

Last edited by orbit; 03-03-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Volfan615
I just installed the two point docking hardware and detachable sissy bar this past Friday and took all of about 20 min. The hardest part was attaching the backrest pad to the bar.

It's really pretty easy to install and remove the bar once you figure it out.
I know what you mean about the pad. I bought a chrome bracket that mounts the pad and damned if I can get that thing from coming loose on one side and going crroked on me. Tried with and without the spacers and no luck. About to get out the JB weld and be done with it.

Quick Reply: another docking hardware rant