Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heim Joint Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat465
Can I use it with the original rod?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by Johan96
Can I use it with the original rod?
Yup, get 2 one for each end. Just make sure you get the right size/thread pitch

Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the mod this morning, took all of maybe 20 minutes. Bought plain ones from local auto parts house and button head bolts in stainless from local hardware store. Total cost was 25.00. Will ride it for a while and then take the rod off and have the ends powdercoated flat black. Thanks to all for the info. Oh, and the bike does seem to shift better and the lever going down in the tranny, don't move around as much(got to get it replaced next month). Again thanks.

Joe

Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

wow, stainless that rusts? never thought that was possible, and it depends on the alloy, how much chromium etc is in the alloy, magnetic? yes, a lot of stainless is, check your fork you're eating with, you'll find that usually it will be attracted to a magnet. just depends on the alloy, i used to use hi tech, or so i thought stainless steel button head allen bolts, then realized, hey, the socket end of these allows an allen wrench to round out if you torque them much, then figured out that most hardware variety stainless is actually about grade five hardness. whooda figured huh?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 AM
hoytheld
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Stainless rusts eventually regardledless of quality.
no it doesnt....stainless will never rust....if you use a non stailless tool or wire brush to clean it...it's the impregnated filings that are rusting...not the stainless. I work with stainless everyday...and work in a wet pet food manufacturing plant that has stainless in it 36 yrs old...not rusting.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoytheld
no it doesnt....stainless will never rust....if you use a non stailless tool or wire brush to clean it...it's the impregnated filings that are rusting...not the stainless. I work with stainless everyday...and work in a wet pet food manufacturing plant that has stainless in it 36 yrs old...not rusting.
Stainless from China will rust...

Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

The McMaster Carr SS rod ends can be hand polished to shine like chrome. Did mine gradually stepping up to 2000 grit sandpaper and finished with simichrome polish. I did use the dremmel some also, but the bulk of the work is by hand. Stainless bullet nuts polish up nicely too.

Attached Thumbnails Heim Joint Specs?-100_1016.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PDDGM
I did the mod this morning, took all of maybe 20 minutes. Bought plain ones from local auto parts house and button head bolts in stainless from local hardware store. Total cost was 25.00. Will ride it for a while and then take the rod off and have the ends powdercoated flat black. Thanks to all for the info. Oh, and the bike does seem to shift better and the lever going down in the tranny, don't move around as much(got to get it replaced next month). Again thanks.

Joe
You can take that allen head bolt out of the tranny lever, replace with a regular hex head bolt w blue locktite and get a socket on it to tighten it up properly. The allen bolt will seem tight but it's just bound up fr. being in there. You'll avoid cost of replacing and it. This is another HD engineering marvel. A friends year old bike had his tranny lever fall off so go figure.