Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio turns ON - Everything else DEAD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009 | 07:25 PM
haze324
|
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Radio turns ON - Everything else DEAD?

I have an 07 RG. A few months back I put some apes on it and soon after my cruise control would not engage. The switch would light up but no cruise control when I would set it. Figured maybe a wire was crimped or loose. Today i took off the hand control and all looked good. I took the front fairing off and traced the wires and all looked good. I thought perhapes it was a fuse, but those were good as well.

I put everything back together and the bike is dead. My radio turns on and so does my tail light and thats about it? No front lights, no turn signals, no ignition....my fuel injection doesn't move either when I turn the switch to run. It got late on me tonight so I couldn't really see much, but I did not notice anything major that could've been disconnected. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll take a better look -- but any ideas what causes such a big kill??

Where should I start?

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:08 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Check your fuses?

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:23 PM
haze324
|
Elite HDF Member

Thanks, but I checked each one and they were all good.

Im not too savvy on where all the wires inside my fairing lead, but ive taken it off enough times to notice something out place. Im guessing there has to be some set of wires that give power to something that has the bike dead, just don't know where it would be?

I'm hoping I can find it tomorrow because right now the bike is dead.

Anyone else?

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:27 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

As screwy as this may sound, take your battery out and go have it checked. When I had my Road Glide, it did some of the same things and I'd NEVER have thought of the battery. Replaced it and everything was fine.

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:27 PM
Bobkizzmo
Intermediate

sounds like it could be your kill switch.

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:37 PM
haze324
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Badbagger
As screwy as this may sound, take your battery out and go have it checked. When I had my Road Glide, it did some of the same things and I'd NEVER have thought of the battery. Replaced it and everything was fine.
Was thinking about doing this. I had a Big Dog before this that would do some crazy **** because of the battery. Can't hurt to try.

Kill Switch - Im hoping its something as easy as just the wire crimped in the hand control...but the lights go dead as well? Unless its causing a short? Thanks.

Old 03-02-2009 | 10:16 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior

Check the plugs that go back into the main harness, also check the wires on your hand controls where they plug into the harness and make sure all the pins are pushed in all the way.......pop the plugs apart and look at the pins and make sure they are all seated correctly. Did you run the control wires through the bars? if so then you had to take the plugs off.

Old 03-02-2009 | 10:17 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior

Also check you ground wire in the fairing....

Old 03-03-2009 | 01:06 AM
screws4156
Road Captain

You fried your starter fuse.

Old 03-03-2009 | 07:19 AM
haze324
|
Elite HDF Member

Thanks fellas...

Gonna take a look at it after work - hoping its just a fuse. Where is the ground wire on the fairing located?

Quick Reply: Radio turns ON - Everything else DEAD?