Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Based on the other thread we called our Dealer the other day and had 'em put a set aside for Pop's '04 Ultra.

Will be picked-up and installed tomorrow - along with a few other items.

I'll try to snap some pics of the install...then some of the rest of the bike for the gallery.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
but, but, but, has anyone actually determined why they won't fit on the chopped tour pack?
Originally Posted by dawg
Tour paks changed composition in 06 (fiberglass to ABS) and the MOCO doesn't want to be responsible if the fiberglass doesn't hold up with the hinges. Otherwise, they fit.
There you go, question answered. All in the same thread.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What will come on a new 09 Ultra King Tour Pack? If I order one, what hinges will it have on it?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

no...............my buddy just bought one, same ol' hinges. These are an "upgrade"

Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
no...............my buddy just bought one, same ol' hinges. These are an "upgrade"
Then THEY will have to wait. (I need to draw a line in the sand somewhere!)

Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteelCityScooter
Read all the words.....
Thanks for pointing that out.

But my 06 chopped pack looks like it's ABS and it sounds like they have a problem with the hinges being compatible with fiberglass. I haven't really looked at what I think is a glass bag but half my bronco is fiberglass and my saddle bags and Tourpak look too smooth on the edges and insides to be glass. I wonder if they had a few ABS that year too? I got my bike on 06/06/06 (lucky me) right before the 07's and had to special order the pak. Do the fiberglass have a rougher interior?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingbull
Thanks for pointing that out.

But my 06 chopped pack looks like it's ABS and it sounds like they have a problem with the hinges being compatible with fiberglass. I haven't really looked at what I think is a glass bag but half my bronco is fiberglass and my saddle bags and Tourpak look too smooth on the edges and insides to be glass. I wonder if they had a few ABS that year too? I got my bike on 06/06/06 (lucky me) right before the 07's and had to special order the pak. Do the fiberglass have a rougher interior?
Is the inside of your pak smooth black or is it gray? I know that my 04 pak had a gray interior and it was fiberglass....I know for sure because the lid had all the fiberglass rubbed off in a trailer while the door was jarring against it one trip we took

Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the chopped tour-pack has a slightly different angle on the sides...which could make the hinges not function properly.

May not close smoothly. We put the new hnges on a fiberglass tour-pack today...so it does work. It does seem that the upgraded hinges are a bit less forgiving in regards to installation positioning than teh stock units.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
Is the inside of your pak smooth black or is it gray? I know that my 04 pak had a gray interior and it was fiberglass....I know for sure because the lid had all the fiberglass rubbed off in a trailer while the door was jarring against it one trip we took
I hate when crap like that happens. Yeah, mines gray. Too bad those are nice looking hinges for a suprisingly decent price from MoCo...Thanks for the info

Last edited by ragingbull; 03-07-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
russl179
Road Warrior

I bought a set and very happy w/ the look. No rattles so far. Remember to use red locktite. I used blue.....

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Hinges