Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Street Glide drivers backrest install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
dafoot2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=ww1flyingace;4654247]
Originally Posted by dafoot2

As far as I remember, they are bolts that go into theaded holes in the frame. You should have gotten all that with the bracket kit. Did they sell you JUST the gold colored part? If so, you need to go back and get the entire kit.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Part number 52589-09 for 09 and later. Did you get the right kit for the 09?

I had the bracket from an 08. Was in my Harley dealer and just for the heck of it had them do a search. They printed up the two parts kits on the 08 and 09 bracket. Only thing that was different was the black L shaped bracket that mounts to the bike and a few bolts. The uprights were the same part number. The 08 bracket mounts on my 09 just fine, just wasnt sure how the L shaped bracket mounted to the bike. Rather than spend 29 bucks for a whole kit, I bought the L bracket for 5 bucks. Works just fine.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry, but your wrong on the parts being the same.

The entire kit, every part, is different. INCLUDING the gold colored bracket. Look closely at the photo I posted. They are NOT the same. (look at the "wings" on the gold part where the holes are.) NOT the same part. The black support strap MAY be the same, although I recal the 09 being slightly longer. (about 1/4") What you were missing entirely, (and sound like you bought) is the last peice that the strap bolts to at the bottom end, which in turn the two bolts then bolt to the frame of the bike. (what you call the "L" bracket/bolts)

While you CAN bolt the gold bracket onto the fender, it will be positioned further forward, and at more of a forward angle than would be the correct 09 bracket. I know that because I tried it myself, with the bracket that came with my 08 CVO Roadking rider backrest.

You will find, that the 09 bracket angles the backrest in a less upright and more comfortable position than jury rigging the 08 bracket. You can see in the photo that the 09 positioning gives you more range of movement to lean BACK more. Every HD rider backrest I tried PRIOR to the 09, sat me bolt upright and gave NO room to lean backward at all, even at full rearward adjustment (a COMMON gripe with the HD backrest) the 09 cured that.

Look in the photo. Note that BOTH brakets are positioned over the fender bolt using the second hole from the front of the braket. Look how much further back the 09 bracket sits when mounted using the same hole, and how much less forward its angled.

Of course, if your happy with the position, then I guess your good to go.

Last edited by flyingace; 03-05-2009 at 07:18 PM.