Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seen Bright Ass Lights tail lights in person?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM
tmjdds
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright *** Experiment

I was getting ready to remove my BAL-1 and install the BAL-2 when I thought it would be cool to document the brightness change. I set up a camera in my garage and aimed it directly at the tail light. I set the camera up in a completely manual mode so that it would not adjust automatically to the difference in brightness. All other lights were turned off. I also took pictures of the stock harley light for comparison. I took pictures in running, running+10, and brake mode. Maybe this could help someone when making a decision about which light to get.
Has anyone seen Bright Ass Lights tail lights in person?-bal_grid2.jpg

Last edited by tmjdds; 12-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting picture comparison. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to clarify, the BAL-1 and BAL-3 models utilize 4 LEDs. The BAL-2 has 12 LEDs.

I've had the 4 LED versions on a couple of bikes. To me, it's as bright as I need - and I have it adjusted to the medium intensity.

I can't imagine following someone with the 12 LED version.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM
mrmatw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well mine is on and proven for the first 4oo miles; Cagers now are staying further off my *** and when I do hit the brake, they are aware. Big difference! Best bang for the buck... Not to be a replacement of you needing to be aware of your surroundings, just make the other fools that don't see you, do see you.

Ride Safe, Ride Hard, Enjoy!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Any suggestions on where to buy a BAL at a discount?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
tmjdds
4th Gear
Default Bright *** Experiment

I got the chance to ride behind my own bike this weekend and see the (12 LED)BAL-2 in operation. I only rode during daylight hours and it did not appear annoyingly bright. I switched from the (4 LED)BAL-1 for fun...nothing else. I just thought it would be cool to see the difference in light intensity with the pics I posted. I was not trying to say that BAL-1s are not bright enough. I have my BAL-1 if someone wants to buy it. You can email me.

Last edited by tmjdds; 04-11-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lviguy
The choices you cite are NOT mutually exclusive.

I've had the BAL-1 on my bike for the last 1000 mi, the comments I get are just what I was looking for -- they see me. Folks that have ridden behind me say they are BRIGHT, but are not complaining.

Plug and play install, took less than 5 minutes. Well made, good service on my order.

Just because I have upgraded brake lights and a headlight modulator doesn't mean relaxed vigilance on the ride. But I choose to improve my odds.
Agree! It's about layers of safety....accidents cannot be eliminated, we have to be vigilant but every layer of safety increases odds of making it home to the OL. Surprised the firemen out there criticized the lights. Just because police officers wear vest, doesn't mean we don't get shot at or killed....so do we just not wear our vest???

Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

funny conversation with a local parts dealer that no longer carries the BAL due to it not being DOT legal. Says people complained they got tickets... I really could care less, if I am going to get a ticket for my brake light, I also am going to get one for my pipes, and probably my helmet. Regardless, it DOES have a DOT mode. I haven't had an issue at all with my BAL-1 after a years use. Love it.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
funny conversation with a local parts dealer that no longer carries the BAL due to it not being DOT legal. Says people complained they got tickets... I really could care less, if I am going to get a ticket for my brake light, I also am going to get one for my pipes, and probably my helmet. Regardless, it DOES have a DOT mode. I haven't had an issue at all with my BAL-1 after a years use. Love it.
My opinion is that your dealer is full of ****. The BAL has a few DOT-compliant modes.

Likely that dealership stopped carrying it for other reasons and uses this as an excuse. Perhaps other LED-based lights provide them a higher margin?

He really said people got tickets because their brake light was too bright, and that justified him to discontinue selling the product? He said it with a straight face? He's either BSing you or he is pretty damn gullible himself.

But, wtf, I once got a ticket for making a left turn (on a green arrow) into the center lane. It was after midnight and no other traffic on the roads. Cop was sitting in a parking lot. Told me I needed to turn into the closest lane. Cost me $145.

Last edited by pargenz; 04-11-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TODDNVAL
Hi all, while we were in FL last week we came up behind a guy at a redlight in Orlando and when he hit his brakes the tail light flashed 3 or 4 times so bright I don't see how anyone could not see it in the daytime, I can't imagine how bright it would have been in the dark. I pulled up along side him at another light and asked what kind of tail light he had and it was one by Bright *** Lights that he had bought at a HD dealership right where we were almost at. He led us to the dealership and showed me the display and the brake light has 21 different settings for the flash pattern, they were $200 at the HD shop. I have been hit in the rear in my vehicle and I'm very paraniod on our bike when pulling up to stop lights, especially in busy areas, and I really liked how much this light gets your attention. It was bright enough that I don't think anyone would want to be very close behind you for any ammount of time. Does anyone have one of these, or know of any issues with them, I'm thinking about ordering one. brightasslights.com
I splurged and got the BAL-2R last year. No issues whatsoever, and my buddies say it's brighter than any taillight they've seen. The $200 has 4 LED's, the $400 has 12. If money is not that big of an issue, go with the one that has 12.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen Bright Ass Lights tail lights in person?