Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head light Modulator Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Head light Modulator Question

I posted yesterday about some lighting changes I made to make me more visible.
Several folks suggested I also do a headlight modulator.

Are these legal in all states? Any pros or cons to them? Do they require a load equalizer?
On a 1 thru 10 scale, what is the difficulty of install?

Who makes them and is there one particular modulator that everyone likes?
This is for my 08 SG.

Thanks you!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have never used one, but they are legal in all states during the daylight hours. You have to switch it off in the dark.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,776 Likes on 469 Posts

It switches itself off when it gets dusk out. You can adjust that a little according to where you place the sensor.

http://www.kriss.com/

They're worth their weight in gold in my opinion !!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 AM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badbagger
It switches itself off when it gets dusk out. You can adjust that a little according to where you place the sensor.

http://www.kriss.com/

They're worth their weight in gold in my opinion !!!!!!!
I second that!

http://www.kisantech.com/view_produc...roduct=P115W-S

Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have one made by Kisan Technologies. They are legal in all 50 states and Canada. They are default to operate on the high beam and have a daylight sensor to stop the modulation at dusk and nighttime. I selectively use mine under certain riding conditions such as my work commute where there are busy side streets with traffic entering and/or busy intersections. I love mine. I carry a copy of the regs with me just in case.

Installation is easy. You have to remove your outer fairing, unplug the headlight, plug the modulator onto the headlight and plug the power /plug into the modulator. It is a simple inline plug-n-go installation. You then have to route the daylight sensor thru the inner fairing (I went thru the clutch cable hole) and mount it with exposure to the daylight. I zip tied mine to the mirror stem. I didn't want to drill any mounting holes for the sensor in my fairing. Holes are forever.

USA - Department of Transportation:
FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in Section S7.9.4.
CANADA - Canada Transport:
FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all Provinces provided they comply with the standards set forth in Section S7.9.4.
Kisan Headlight modulators are manufactured and tested to be in full compliance with US Department of Transportation (DOT) Standard 108 and Transport Canada Technical Standard 108.
Title 49 USC 30103(b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108. No State or Local ordinance shall usurp the authority and enforcement of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Last edited by soos; 02-28-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM
wishbonecg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the one from KISAN as well and I wouldn't ride without it. The best$ I've spent on the bike. Very easy to install.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:55 AM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Originally Posted by harley-jones
Are these legal in all states? Any pros or cons to them? Do they require a load equalizer?

Yes, they are... check out this information:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...lator-regs.htm

On a 1 thru 10 scale, what is the difficulty of install?
Depends on the bike, on my Ultra or your SG, less than 30 minutes, but you gotta know where the screws are at for your fairing. PM me if you want more info.

Who makes them and is there one particular modulator that everyone likes?
This is for my 08 SG.
I used Comagination, got a headlight and a brakelight modulator kit. Would not feel comfortable riding without them!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
I used Comagination, got a headlight and a brakelight modulator kit. Would not feel comfortable riding without them!

+1 on the modulators from comagination. The headlight was strictly plug-n-play. A little wiring is needed for the brake modulator but I love having them both.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Default Kizan

I also put one in my passing, Aux lights, jeez when i switch them on people move out of my way. hahahahah

Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Feedsack
I also put one in my passing, Aux lights, jeez when i switch them on people move out of my way. hahahahah
More info on this mod please.

Quick Reply: Head light Modulator Question