Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head light Modulator Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 AM
1ironhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread.I learn something new every day.I've only seen a handful of these in operation I guess.I figured it was an electrical problem(voltage regulator,ect.).They definitely got my attention.I'll be checking these out as I'll be installing aux lights on the SG shortly.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:03 AM
wolfshead1
Tourer

I have Comagination here.Bought the mod.and brake setup.Bout $90 I think.Hooked up easy.Called them with a question,guy was a jerk.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default modulator in passing lamps

Originally Posted by Feedsack
I also put one in my passing, Aux lights, jeez when i switch them on people move out of my way. hahahahah
I agree drawing upon my personal experience. I run with my modulator on during the day naturally in my 3" HEAD LAMPS (converted) only. At night the modulation ceases but I still use the Halogen yellow bulbs as marker beacons (increased frontal signature recognition) and use my 5 3/4" Hi/Lo HID Headlight. You can run up to 4 headlights (or combination of ie: passing lamps) in the USA.

On my dresser: for passing lamps (once converted to head lamps) I use a special piggyback bulb that has a choice between both HID (non-modulation) and halogen for modulation purposes or DRL as you can turn the modulation off. In night city driving I use the 7" HID headlight & 4 1/2" passing (head lights) with Halogen as a frontal signature recognition enhancement tool. Away from stop & go traffic or downtown settings I use the 7" HID headlight & 4 1/2" passing (head lights) with HID for much increased night vision.

• Does a modulator make a difference during the day light hours? Yes!
  • Would I recommend it to everyone? YES!
  • Something to think about: How much is your life worth, is it worth the cost of a modulator?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:37 AM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,776 Likes on 469 Posts

These should actually be standard on every bike built, they're a great selling point.
I've had several people pull over on the side of the road in front of me, thinking I was a cop coming up behind them. A handful of them flipped me the bird when they saw I wasn't a cop when I went around them.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:54 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

I installed a Kisan modulator about a year ago. I rarely use it.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

Does the Comagination modulator disable the auxiliary lights on an Ultra while in use, or can they be used while the modulator is on?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff194
Does the Comagination modulator disable the auxiliary lights on an Ultra while in use, or can they be used while the modulator is on?
On my SG I wired fog lights to the high beam side of the headlight and have a Kisan modulator.

The fogs and the modulator work together on the high beam.

When I go to the low beam the fogs go out and the modulator stops modulating the headlight.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff194
The Comagination unit runs off the high beams so yes, it would turn off the passing lamps when the modulator was running. I did the wiring mod so my passing lamps are on all the time.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
The Comagination unit runs off the high beams so yes, it would turn off the passing lamps when the modulator was running. I did the wiring mod so my passing lamps are on all the time.
Thanks, I'll look into doing that mod when I install the modulator.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 AM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'll be the bad guy.
I hate the damn things. Yes I am generally in favor of anything that makes us more visible and less likely to be street pizza but I find them extremely distracting and annoying. They are worse than extremely loud pipes.

I think the non motorcycling public doesn't have a clue what they are. I can just see some old cager having an accident trying to pull over because he thinks there is a MC cop behind him. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be on a group ride with someone behind me with one constantly flashing in my mirror like there was some sort of problem.

I understand the reasons why you guys think they are wonderful but they really rub me the wrong way. If that is the result with someone who gets it, imagine what some old man that hates motorcyclists or some punk from the hood thinks when you are coming at them or behind them. You might draw more attention than you want.

Just my two cents. I do have extra lights and use them, it's just the modulating that puts me over the edge - like watching one of those Japanese commercials that drove people crazy. <G>

Quick Reply: Head light Modulator Question