Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helen, GA Barbecue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Helen, GA Barbecue

A few years back my wife and I went to Helen, GA for the weekend. I didn't realize it was such a motorcycle Mecca. This April my riding group is going there for a weekend. When my wife and I were there we stopped at a barbecue place just north of town. It was situated right on the highway and the Chattahoochee River ran out back of it. We ate on picnic tables down by the river. The barbecue was terrific. Problem is I can't remember the name of the joint or the highway it was on. Does anybody know which place I'm describing and, if so, do you know if it's still open? I would like to take the gang there for lunch while we are there.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the name, but Helen, GA is an ok place!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
bamarider
Tourer

You might be talking about Das Firehaus Bar & Grill. It is located on H75 and H17 leaving Helen. Lots of picnic tables with Smith Creek on one side and the Chattahoochee on the other. Very nice. Depending on when you were their the menu has changed. In fact the name has changed to Das Firehaus Bar & Grill. Lots of great places around Helen to eat and see. Some great riding as well. Also some good restraurants in Helen that are off the main road. There is a road that parallels the main road into Helen. Couple of good places to eat and there is a small place that sells awesome barbecue. Enjoy Helen we do!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We will be in the area in April and are thinking of overnighting in Helen. Can you reccommend any Hotels in the area? How about things to do at night?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Some good bars at night. Basically they are in the middle of town. The town is really small but some people stay in the Econolodge and other name brand hotels soon as you come in to town. Do a seach for hotels in Helen. Any hotel in town is withing walking distance to numerous bars in town. Helendorf River Inn, Hampton Inn, and the Super 8 are very close to downtown.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You might also consider the lodge at Unicoi State Park. They have cabins as well, but the lodge is more like a hotel and is in a very scenic area. The park is a couple of miles from downtown Helen and a great place to visit anyway. Anna Ruby Falls is in the park, and has a very pretty road leading to it.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try Fred's Famous Peanuts

They're located on the left as you turn up to go to Unicoi. Yummy. At least they were.... I hope they're still there...