Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good feedback, I appreciate the answers. So, for the quick release pigtail, any better place to have it come out from under the seat to stay hidden? I'm thinking of tie-wrapping it to the seat frame near the front left of the seat, and sliding the AC side connector up there to do the charging.

IN Glide, it plugs right into what?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Just forward of my battery is a plate on the frame with a cutout in it. I have the pigtail come out there. I just tuck it back inside when not in use and you never see it.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

You can buy the Battery Tender Plus on line for less than Harley sells the Battery Tender Jr. Check out Competition Accessories for great prices and occasional sales.

It takes 9 volts to fire an electronic ignition. You are lucky your bike started. Hook the leads up direct, plug it in every time you park your bike, and add years to your battery. You don't say what kind of bike you have, but being you are posting on the tour forum we could assume you have a bike that has stuff running all the time....clock, alarm, etc.
If so, your battery is constantly discharging when not running. That's why you were down to 9 volts.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery tender plus comes with the pigtail you put on the battery terminals and leave it. Just a simple plug with a rubber boot the gets tucked away when not used. Off topic but it is a bad idea to crank up your bike for such a short period of time.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to replace my battery every 2-3 years before using the Battery Tender. My last battery lasted 5 years. I plug it in whenever I know it will be 2-3 days between rides. Hook directly to the battery for best results!

Andy

Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the tender hook up installed on my bike when I bought it, have had it on all my bikes, would not do with out one

Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
IN Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
IN Glide, it plugs right into what?
On my 08' FLHX and on all 08's for that matter, if you look on the right side (looking forward) you will see a black cord hanging under the seat. If you pull the small cover off the end of it you will see where the tender plugs right in.
The Battery Tender is nice because it is not a constant charge. It has a computer chip inside that only charges when it needs to and monitors the battery the rest of the time. Here is the link for Battery Tender with a picture. http://batterytender.com/popup_image.php?pID=4
When you look at the picture, look at the cord that is behind the wall plug. That is what plugs directly into the cord on your bike and looks just like what is hanging on the bike. Hope that is clear as mud.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as all of your connections are tight the frame IS the negative side of the battery. It makes no difference. And any battery tender will work, regardless of the price. Bottom line, your choice on both questions.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Razerman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Walmarts charger is Made by shoemaker company, they have been making chargers since the 1960s., They are quality chargers with terminal ring conections , and include a set of alligator clamp conections in the box so when your riding you can be charging the the atv or whatever with the clamp setup while your gone. 4 years no problems with both Shoemaker chargers.JMHO

Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i use the battery negative ( have on 3 bikes) with no problems. Get a Battery Tender!

Quick Reply: Battery tender questions