Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up new Road Glide this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006 | 04:37 PM
saidin43
|
Cruiser
Default Picked up new Road Glide this weekend...

Picked up the glide from the dealer, and I have to say, I love it! Moved up from a Sportster 1200 ('02). Night and day difference of course. Naturally, it is a larger bike, so I feel less cramped on it (I'm actually 5'5" and the sportster highway pegs were a godsend)...but the frame mounted fairing, the way the throttle handles, reduced effort clutch, and the rubber mounted engine, its just amazing. The radio is great, and I didn't have any problems with cd skipping or anything like that. I've been suffering from the permasmile syndrome whenever I get near the beast, and when I'm trying to break it in, I have to resist the temptation to sit back and just cruise forever. [8D]

Just 2 possible adjustments, and 1 concern

The windshield is just below my line of sight if I sit bolt straight...may have to get that lowered a bit.
Secondly, I don't really have to stretch to use the handlebars, but I may need to get a set that pull back more to be truly comfortable. I currently have the reach seat installed, and that helps.
Thirdly, I have the SE pipes, Air cleaner, and Stage 1 download, and the pipes sound awesome (make my friend's 2000 SE Road Glide sound like a sceamin' chicken!)
My only hang up with these, is when I decelerate, I fear faint pop sounds. The pops really are pretty faint, and doesn't bother me, but I just wanna be sure its not hurting the scoot.

I have seen similar issues in other posts about the bike prolly running lean, and solutions including getting a SERT or similar and whatnot, but I don't really care to deal with that as long as the bike won't be damaged by running like this.

Old 04-23-2006 | 04:45 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Picked up new Road Glide this weekend...

congrats on your new toy - I see you are new to the board - if you havn't learned the "search" feature - it will help you a lot in finding possible answeres to your questions... for your bars - check this link out https://www.hdforums.com/m_407554/mp.../tm.htm#407554

I am only an inch taller than you, so I feel your pain in several areas...

How close to Boston are you? - I have HD fly&ride set up there on July 8 - I am taking a new Road Glide up to Nova Scotia for a week then when I get home,,, I will be changing my FLHTCI into a Road Glide

Old 04-23-2006 | 04:59 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Congrats on your new bike. Since you aren't doing any mods on the motor or exhaust at this time, you will be fine running without the SERT or other tuner options. Enjoy the bike until you are ready for some louder pipes and better flowing air cleaner. Like mentioned above, use the search option and don't forget to read the my thread on why EFI bikes need to be tuned which you will find at the top of the Tech Section for EFI and Tuning.

Enjoy

Old 04-23-2006 | 05:54 PM
saidin43
|
Cruiser

harley0711, I had seen those bars in the forum actucally... They seem ok, but with the stock bars, they are straighther where the hands meet the bar, so its a natural hold. The way the bars there look, I'd have to be holding both hands out at a weid angle. I'm heading to Americade anyway this June, so I'm sure I'll have a good chance to check out all sorts of different options. Just wanted to see if anybody had any experiences with pull back bars. I'm only bout 30-45 miles west of Boston really. Nova Scotia has been a place I've really wanted to ride to. Someday

Terry - I'll check out the article you mentioned... The only thing I have seen so far that might harm the bike in other posts, was that if its running lean, it might run hotter... That might be a concern, but are there any other possible damaging effects? That was the only think I saw mentioned.

Thanks for the responses

Old 04-23-2006 | 06:35 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

trying different bars on a bike really is the best way - for me the reach/feel is very natural - another reason why we are all different - what works for one person may not work for another - enjoy

Old 04-23-2006 | 06:43 PM
roadglidin
Cruiser

Congrats on the new Roadie. Your gonna really love this machine. I switched from a '98 RoadKing I owned since new. I needed something a litle more 'dedicated' towards touring-long rides out west from Ct. I've had mine since just before Thanksgiving '05 (its an '06 model) and I did the same as yourself by getting the detachable tourpack. Wife prefers the backrest/sissybar setup for non-touring rides so the swap is a snap.
I've found that the bit of talkback from the exhaust during deceleration is a normal condition with the EFI. I have the 95" stage II with SERT and pair of KromeWerks "HP plus" touring mufflers. Enjoy your new ride.

Old 04-23-2006 | 06:52 PM
myzen
Road Captain

I switched to the Heritage softail bars, it brings the reach back just enough. They are $49.00 at you HD shop. There was no change in the cables or wiring. The only thing I did have to do is notch out the plastic where the clutch cable is routed, it was binding a little at full lock. FYI the Heritage bars are the same bars the Poilce Roadking uses.

In regards to the gurgle on downshift, it is ok. I have the same thing but it is barely noticable.

Windshield: invest in the Clearview 16" GT windshield. It comes back 2" closer and is 1" lower than stock. Definitely worth the money and the wait. I think the website is www.clearviewshields.com

Enjoy your Gide.

Old 04-23-2006 | 09:32 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master

Welcome to the Club!!!!

Check out Clearview for a new shield and Wild1 for the new bars.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/F45E0D3AD998415F8B6FD4251F5483C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-23-2006 | 09:44 PM
Slider
Outstanding HDF Member

Congrats on the new Road Glide...coming from a sportie, kinda like goin from a Trailer Trash Woman to a Victorias Secret Model...be sure to let ****** know you switched to the "Dark Side"...now we need pics

Old 04-23-2006 | 10:59 PM
buckweet
Road Captain

YES !!! ROADGLIDE !!!!

WEET

Quick Reply: Picked up new Road Glide this weekend...