Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zippers Thundermax making changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:31 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Zippers Thundermax making changes

For those of you unhappy(like me) with the mini-din3/serial cable connection to the Thundermax, they told me today that soon they will switch to firewire connections.

It's too late for us already running the unit, but eventually new buyers will have a much simpler to configure/connect module.

I never did understand why they chose the obsolete serial connection seeing as how NO ONE sells a laptop today with a serial port. Lots of folks can't get a serial/usb converter cable that will actually work....I know I certainly played hell finding a cable and drivers that would work.

Getting rid of the mini-din3 will also make it possible to operate with side cover on and laptop in bag so you can obtain real world monitoring

Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news!
Would be really good if they could figure out a retrofit too.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 AM
megawayne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
For those of you unhappy(like me) with the mini-din3/serial cable connection to the Thundermax, they told me today that soon they will switch to firewire connections.

It's too late for us already running the unit, but eventually new buyers will have a much simpler to configure/connect module.

I never did understand why they chose the obsolete serial connection seeing as how NO ONE sells a laptop today with a serial port. Lots of folks can't get a serial/usb converter cable that will actually work....I know I certainly played hell finding a cable and drivers that would work.

Getting rid of the mini-din3 will also make it possible to operate with side cover on and laptop in bag so you can obtain real world monitoring
You can leave the wire in the unit all of the time. I have it in mine still and ran under the seat into the tour pack. It works well, I ran it through the wiring grommet on the left side. The side cover has more than enough spacing for it to be ran that way.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:46 AM
mikeflht
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully they will provide a USB connection. Note all notebooks have firewire connections.