Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sore knees on my R.K.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:12 PM
mndemohead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sore knees on my R.K.

I just put on a 300 mile day on my R.K. and my knees are killing me. 300 miles is actually a short trip for the type of riding we plan to do. Here is the problem, My knees start to ache very quick, but the funny thing is that I dont have bad knees or anything, they never hurt except when Im riding my bike, I do have highway pegs and it does help, however I really would rather have my feet in closer to the controls most of the time. Anyone know of any products that will move the floor boards or replace them all together with a different style or something? I posted about relocating the floor boards a while back but got no reply. I am 6-2 and feel very cramped on this bike. I did replace the seat with a Corbin Dual tour, which did seem to move me back a little but still need more, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: sore knees on my R.K.

Highway pegs. Your knees will thank you.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 PM
mndemohead
Tourer

As I stated in the post I do have highway pegs but If im doing city driving and heavy traffic areas I just dont feel comfortable have my legs so far from the rear brake and shifter. I remember last year sometime someone had a link to a kit the moved the floor board and extended the shift arm and rear brake, but I cant find it anywhere.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Kuryakyn makes a spacer kit to relocate the boards outward 3/4 of an inch.

Here is a thought. Are you riding with your feet pointed straigh ahead with all of you foot on the floorboard? If so, try riding with your toes pointed outwars at more at an angle. Kinda like riding a horse, the knees feel better if the feet are in a natural, comortable position.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
ironzo
Novice

Harley has an extended reach kit that moves the floor boards forward. (p/n 50409-04) Maybe adding that to the Kuryakyn running board extenders (p/n 550-000, page 865 in the 2006 J&P Cycles Catalog) that move them out to the sides would solve your problem. Good luck! Ron :-)

Old 04-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: ironzo

Harley has an extended reach kit that moves the floor boards forward. (p/n 50409-04) Maybe adding that to the Kuryakyn running board extenders (p/n 550-000, page 865 in the 2006 J&P Cycles Catalog) that move them out to the sides would solve your problem. Good luck! Ron :-)
I would suggest this kit also. Another idea that has helped me a lot is to locate your highway pegs to that you can rest your heals on the front of your floorboards and your toes on the pegs. Your legs are not stretched out and it is a really comfortable postition for me. I have the short reach angled brackets from Harley to help accomplish this.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mndemohead

As I stated in the post I do have highway pegs but If im doing city driving and heavy traffic areas I just dont feel comfortable have my legs so far from the rear brake and shifter. I remember last year sometime someone had a link to a kit the moved the floor board and extended the shift arm and rear brake, but I cant find it anywhere.
I position my highway pegs so that my heel rests on the floor board and toe rests on the highway pegs. I don't find any problem in traffic, it is on long stretches of highway that my knees bother me.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:56 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Not a bike mod, but even if you haven't had bad knees in the past, (I do), the wind on your kness can be pretty brutal after a while. Buy a bottle of Glucosomine. It offers a joint lubricant that keeps your knee joints healthier for any occasion, but I've found that it really assists with knee and joint aches while riding.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Mitt
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Grover

Kuryakyn makes a spacer kit to relocate the boards outward 3/4 of an inch.

Here is a thought. Are you riding with your feet pointed straigh ahead with all of you foot on the floorboard? If so, try riding with your toes pointed outwars at more at an angle. Kinda like riding a horse, the knees feel better if the feet are in a natural, comortable position.
What he said - you will love them, I have the same problem rode my bud's Ultra with them on and point my toes out and it's a new World...

Or you could get them both replaced with Titanium

Old 04-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a buddy who put forward controls on his RK. Looked good and felt perfect for him.

Quick Reply: sore knees on my R.K.