Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer LCD fail on 1998 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
mayfly
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odometer LCD fail on 1998 RKC

Took my bike to the dealer yesterday for inspection and they said they can't inspect it unless they can read the odometer, the LCD was all jarbled and unreadable. Now it was 14 degrees out yesterday when we trailered her in to the shop - I am hoping that was the issue.

My questions:
  1. has anyone ever experienced an issue with their LCD odometer ?
  2. can the odometer LCD be replaced or am I looking at the whole speedo assemply like the parts catalog illustrates ?
  3. any clue where to find one ? nothing comes up on CHD, Zanottis or the MOCO search engines
I searched these forums and found no prior mention of this particular issue so any help / insight would be appreciated.

Currently awaiting a call back from the dealer with their replacement cost

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM
CRAMBONE
Advanced

Had the same thing happen on my 98 fat boy,but was still under warranty. but it wasn't from the cold, I live in Phoenix

Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
mayfly
Cruiser

apparently they do go bad with age - at least the ones on 98 RKC's do LOL - they are on their third superceded part number - it appears as though I need #67033-95D which is a speciall order item from the dealer, none on ebay so it's looking like a CHD order item.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

i have seen several posts here and also seen several for sale on ebay that the odometer leaked. get black spots on numbers..some are lucky and it does not effect reading of miles because it is on the very edges..others black-out several numbers and make accurate reading impossible..
seen some possible solutions:
#1..go to dealer and replace with same "new" and dealer corrects mileage to speedometer.
#2..go with used same model from dealer and forget about miles.
#3..go with different new speedometer(from catalog) with different style from dealer
maybe something with rpm's or different face plate and purchase adapter for installation and dealer will update miles.
#4..purchase adapter, purchase used speedometer and forget about miles.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because mine failed on my 99 i found a set of 07 gauges on ebay and i have adapted them over, I was not worried about the miles as my bike only had 7200 when i wrecked it 2 years ago, the speedo i got had 1500 on it....The local dealer said once i get my bike running again to bring it down and they would adjust the mileage.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
nanaimohd
Advanced

My 1998 RoadKing did the same thing ,I have seen many others around the same year do the same thing...my solution was Ebay brand new $75 whole assy

Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
rodente
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nanaimohd
My 1998 RoadKing did the same thing ,I have seen many others around the same year do the same thing...my solution was Ebay brand new $75 whole assy

Mine too '98 RKC but still able to read it....

Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replaced mine last weekend. I had bought one off of Ebay last spring and never gotten around to it. The only thing that I had a hard time with was spending the $195 for the crimpers for the barrell Deutsch connecters. I was able to sell them a couple of days later on Ebay for $175, but after Ebay and PayPal it ended up costing me another $25 in fees. Anyway, it was still way cheaper than what the Dealership quoted when I called them a couple of years ago.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
rodente
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rgardjr
Just replaced mine last weekend. I had bought one off of Ebay last spring and never gotten around to it. The only thing that I had a hard time with was spending the $195 for the crimpers for the barrell Deutsch connecters. I was able to sell them a couple of days later on Ebay for $175, but after Ebay and PayPal it ended up costing me another $25 in fees. Anyway, it was still way cheaper than what the Dealership quoted when I called them a couple of years ago.

I have found that if you use the "weatherpack" crimpers they work almost as well as the Deutsch crimpers, and are alot less cost....13 years as a heavy duty mechanic using them and never had a single issue.....

Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
rgardjr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rodente
I have found that if you use the "weatherpack" crimpers they work almost as well as the Deutsch crimpers, and are alot less cost....13 years as a heavy duty mechanic using them and never had a single issue.....
Thanks for the heads up. I thought about trying to track down some stamped Deutesch pins and sockets instead of the socket type that came with the speedometer. I found some jaws for the stamped connectors that worked with a set of crimpers I could borrow from a buddy. But by the time I paid for the stamped pins and sockets and jaws it would've probably ended up being a push money wise. I guess I would always have the jaws around incase I needed to do some more crimping.

Quick Reply: Odometer LCD fail on 1998 RKC