Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Short

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

though i am on a road king (same frame, etc), i have a short inseam as well. i am using the 11-1/2 inch progressive 440 shocks, left the front stock. i am very comfortable with the reach to the ground, and not at all dissatisfied with the ride.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 AM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 5'5" and recently purchased an 09 Ultra. The seats are a little wider so I had purchased a Sundowner seat and had it modified by Mean City Cycles. They did a great job. The seat lowered me about 1 1/2 inches. I still can not flat foot, but I have absolutely no problems riding this bike. I still have my stock seat and will probably have it modified also. I had to buy the Sundowner seat only because I needed something to ride the bike home with. The stock seat was way to tall for me. I also lowered the front and rear with the lowering kit from HD. I am very careful where I park though. Backing up can be a bear...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:07 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. I have an 09 Ultra. When I test rode it in it's stock condition I was on tippy toes. It took me 3 or 4 attempts to get the kickstand up.

I had them lower the front and rear and install a Reach seat. Now I can flat foot the bike but I can't get a very wide stance so I have to be careful not to let the bike lean when I'm stopped cause it is VERY hard to keep it from falling over.

When my wife is on the back I'm a lot more comfortable as the bike is lower and I feel I have a better stance and more control while stopped.

It's my first Harley and I do love it.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Uno
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott Air Ride

I've got an 08 Electra Glide Classic and I'm 5' 6".
I installed the Arnott adjustable air ride system.

http://www.arnottairsuspension.com/p....asp?makeId=16

I love it. Ride is adjustable.
I added the handle bar mounted push switch.

When I'm idling slow, parking or letting the wife mount, I release pressure and drop it down.
When I need suspension, I raise it, then drive off.
If the wife tells me the road is rough, I add/remove air while rolling.

I also mounted a VDO Series 1 air gauge in place of the useless temperature gauge.
This gives me an idea of what the pressure is.
My starting position is 50psi single rider, 70psi for two.

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult.asp?...eries1&Units=E

Tubing kit for the VDO gauge:
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=CON-008

This system allows me to be flat footed when I need both legs down.
It also allows full shock travel on rough roads.
It's easy to install.
It is worth every penny.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an article a few years back in the "Enthusiast", a woman wrote that she is
5'4" , 104 lbs and bought an Ultra (don't remember year but was new). She practiced riding around the house on the grass and dumped it a few times but made it and rides all the time. I only have a Classic but its a lot less top heavy without the tourpack, all of the baggers are too top heavy and it makes it harder to control at slow speeds. I'm 5'9" and just flat footed on it. The softails still handle more like the old bikes, lower center of gravity.