Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was Remapping Necessary

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Was Remapping Necessary

I have an 09 Ultra & have put on Rush 1.75 slips on to get a better sound which I like. I have a stock air filter & do not want a Stage 1 kit etc (because the bike has enough power for me & runs good). My dealer told me that Rush first said no download was necessary but evidently people had problems with high speed riding 7 there pipes were turning yellow. So Rush told dealers to have download done. I called Rush to check this out & they highly recommend you do the download.

So I had the dealer do the download. I know it makes the bike run a little richer however mine seems to run a lot richer to the point it will burn your eyes a little. I can smell gas fumes when I first give it some throttle & when i stop. So was the download necessary? If not can the dealer reverse the download? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
testifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no download needed

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by testifer
no download needed

Yep. ECM recalibrates to the stock AFR setting.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chief! While no re-mapping might have been needed...but everyone advised you to remap...did anyone of the techs think about seeing if they put in the right MAP? Just a thought!

Secondly...what exactly did you remap with? Did you update the Harley MAP? SERT?

I honestly really don't like any of those cause I feel they are very wide in their programming...but hey...that's just an opinion and I know plenty of people have plenty of goodluck with them.

I do believe the PC-V to be a better tool for what you need...especially with the new Auto Tune. It's abit of pocket change but it's been some of the best money I've spent on getting My bike where I wanted it!

Ride Safe and I'll see ya'll at Daytona Bike Week on the 1st! Mike

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
ojgp
Advanced

My simple way of saying it - Unless the bike was extremely too lean from the factory to begin with, a simple muffler swap-out seldom gives reason to mess with the fuel delivery - whether carb or FI. The mixing of fuel and air is done at the intake side of the motor. When the exhaust is allowed to flow more free - like from a basic muffler change - the proportion of the air to fuel ratio still remains basically the same as it was so there's usually no need to add more fuel. Now when you mess with the air box and add more air, you better be adding more fuel in the same proportion or you'll have a very lean (too much air) condition.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
pled55
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
I have an 09 Ultra & have put on Rush 1.75 slips on to get a better sound which I like. I have a stock air filter & do not want a Stage 1 kit etc (because the bike has enough power for me & runs good). My dealer told me that Rush first said no download was necessary but evidently people had problems with high speed riding 7 there pipes were turning yellow. So Rush told dealers to have download done. I called Rush to check this out & they highly recommend you do the download.

So I had the dealer do the download. I know it makes the bike run a little richer however mine seems to run a lot richer to the point it will burn your eyes a little. I can smell gas fumes when I first give it some throttle & when i stop. So was the download necessary? If not can the dealer reverse the download? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

since they did the download for the stage one .you may as well add the hiflo air cleaner and that may lean it back out a little.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll post my experience here and you can take it for what it's worth.

I purchased an '08 Ultra (which has the same engine your '09 has). I immediately put RUSH 2.0" slip on muffs on. The thing ran so hot, my wife nearly refused to ride with me. It was a butt/thigh burner and I knew I was going to have to do something.

I spoke to the lead tech and master tuner at my dealership. He highly suggested that I get a SERT and SE intake along with a dyno tune. That way, he could "richen" up the fuel/air mix, move more air through the entire engine and thus, cool things down. And cool it down, it did... plus it runs like a wild ape now.

I think your current is probably ok, but as a rule, if you add a muffler with a larger than a 2" baffle, then you should consider opening up the airflow with a bigger intake, get more fuel with a fuel management system and tune it appropriately with a dyno tune.

I know, it's relatively expensive to do all of this, but it's worth it in the long run. I figured I spent plenty to get the bike, whats a few hundred to get it exactly like I want it?

Good luck and enjoy that new ride!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you can change it back, thats what my friend did.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
ranman469
Road Master

i have a 09 ultra i have had v&h basic slip ons on for 2 thousand miles now. no problems, i have checked the plugs a few times and they are just as they were before the change

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM
IN Glide
Cruiser

I have an 08 Street Glide with 2" Rush slip on. No remap and no problems.

Quick Reply: Was Remapping Necessary