Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota digital antenna, don't buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009 | 04:28 PM
Puzzled
Banned

Originally Posted by skratch
anyone have one that they would get rid of for the cost of postage? i added an aftermarket radio to my roadking and have no antenna. 2 stations would be an upgrade from what i get now, plus i don't listen to radio often (but i do occasionally).....
YES. Score me an X-large shirt from your local HD dealer and it is a done deal.

Old 02-23-2009 | 04:33 PM
G$
Road Captain
From: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses

....sorry u had 2 learn the hard way. All of those so-called hidden antennas suck. Iv'e got one collecting dust in my garage.

Here's da quick fix: gethca a regular old collapsible antenna from auto zone ($20). Be sure its goes down to at least 12-18"....so it will fit inside ur front fairing when removed. Hook it up as u would ur dakota, then simply zip tie it across top of radio so it doesn't move around. Button things back up....VIOLA~ Major tunage.

Ull get the best of both worlds: hidden antenna AND whip reception. Works like a champ.

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:45 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Puzzled
YES. Score me an X-large shirt from your local HD dealer and it is a done deal.
puzzled, thanks for the offer, would have done it, but have been hooked up.

thanks everyone else

like g$ said, i was gonna do that exact thing with the whip antenna. first, i wanted a 'tape' antenna that could mount in the fairing. failing that, i figured a 'rubber ducky' one could be stuffed up in there. nope, no go. the only thing i could find locally was the big whip antenna, not even the collapseable kind. sometimes living in a small town bites!

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:57 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member

seems like I am the only one that has had luck with theirs.

Old 02-23-2009 | 05:57 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior

I like HotRod's Ipod antenna's better!! LOL

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:11 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior

Very timely advice! I'm having my rear fender redone with fillers and told my guy to make sure to put the hole in for my antenna. He says, why not go to Dakota Digital under the fairing. I say, I use my radio alot and I want stations out here in BFE. Now this. Reservations confirmed! Thanks!
Jerry

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:27 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
puzzled, thanks for the offer, would have done it, but have been hooked up.

thanks everyone else

like g$ said, i was gonna do that exact thing with the whip antenna. first, i wanted a 'tape' antenna that could mount in the fairing. failing that, i figured a 'rubber ducky' one could be stuffed up in there. nope, no go. the only thing i could find locally was the big whip antenna, not even the collapseable kind. sometimes living in a small town bites!
Doesn't it though
but they do have internet sales

I wouldn't live any where but in the country

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:36 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

Originally Posted by G$
....sorry u had 2 learn the hard way. All of those so-called hidden antennas suck. Iv'e got one collecting dust in my garage.

Here's da quick fix: gethca a regular old collapsible antenna from auto zone ($20). Be sure its goes down to at least 12-18"....so it will fit inside ur front fairing when removed. Hook it up as u would ur dakota, then simply zip tie it across top of radio so it doesn't move around. Button things back up....VIOLA~ Major tunage.

Ull get the best of both worlds: hidden antenna AND whip reception. Works like a champ.

I just tried that with a small antenna from a marine supply store, I lost reception in the shop. The weather band still worked great, but FM didn't come in as good as the whip.
It came right back off.

Old 02-23-2009 | 07:37 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rooster3171
This hidden antenna totally blows, I only pick up 2 stations while scanning here in Phoenix where we have lots of stations. Worst 80 bucks I ever spent.

I've had a Dakota Digital Hidden Antenna since my bike was new in late 03. I get better reception than the stock antenna and I was able to pick up a number of stations in both Cave Creek, Phoenix and Mesa. It's probably due to where you have it located within the fairing.

Just put a Tune Trapper Hidden Antenna in Terrie's Street Glide (same location within the fairing as my Dakota Digital) and she's happy with it.

Old 02-23-2009 | 07:41 PM
Open Road
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FFeric
seems like I am the only one that has had luck with theirs.

Nope, both mine and Terrie's works just fine.

Quick Reply: Dakota digital antenna, don't buy!!!