Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley chromed 9 spoke rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley chromed 9 spoke rims

I have an 07 RKC. I'm thinking of buying the HD chromed 9 spoke rims. Will I have to buy new rotors or will my stock rotors from my spoked wheels work? Anything else I would need to mount them?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Stock Rotor's should work, you will also need the appropriate Wheel Install kit..(Bearings) priced around $69 a wheel. I am looking at doing these also...I am torn between the floating rotors, classic or Chrome and the polished rotor's for that mirror finish. Also looking at changing the Brake Pads to the Lyndall Z's to reduce the brake dust on them.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I used the stock rotors, but had them polished for $30 each.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
I used the stock rotors, but had them polished for $30 each.
Nice look! I have the same wheels on my RG but I put the floating HD black rotors and am not quite convinced I love the look. Stock rotors cleaned up real well. I never noticed brake dust on my stockers, so when I put oem pads on new rotors, I now see the dust on the wheels. Damn more to clean.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$30 a piece to polish the rotors is a nice price, I had a guy who wants to do it for $100 for the set. I'm doing the 9 spokes in a shiny black powdercoat. Got a buddy to polish the rotors for a case of beer. That wheel install kit is really $69,? man that seems steep.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:58 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Who did your polishing on the rotors? I need mine done. I have an 06 glide classic and i just put the 9 spokes chromed on mine a week or so ago.. Looks sweet but the front wheel came with chromed rotors that dont fit the stock calipers. We now figure they are 08/09 brembo rotors so i need to get rid of them and get my stockers polished.. I need to be careful as I no longer have a job and the wife along with unenjoyment is supporting me .. If your buying new wheels you will need the bearings and spacers and go by the manual when you install the bearings. You need to put the valve stem side bearing in first then then spacer and the opposing bearing.. The can be pressed in with a cheap press or ive seen them hammered in with something that just hits the outer race not the inner... Works in a pinch... On the harley wheels especially the stock ones the bores are only machined to the correct depth on the valve stem side so after the bearing is in that side the other bearing is put in till it bottoms on the spacer thus giving the correct width and placement of the bearings in the wheel.. You can if you have an indy or a dealer nearby pull your bearings and spacers and use them.. the 1 inch bearings are tuff and really hard to muck up . I went with new but i still have the old bearings and they seem fine after pulling them out..
Dave

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior

I just had a thought ! lets see i used to do bump and paint a long time ago and still did some for my hot rods i was building so i have a d/a and a buffer.. I recently lost my job of 31 years (i hope they all starve) and ive really got nothing to do right now. I also have a spare although warped rear rotor to use as practice for polishing.. Should have enuff d/a disks in the garage and the heat is on... Ill let ya know how it goes ... Now at least I have a project..
Dave

Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
paco ritter
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had the 9 spoke chromed stock wheel (exchange off ebay) on my '07 Ultra since June '07. Often thought about doing the polished rotor, it looks really nice. I have access to a commercial grade Baldor buffer that does short work of this kinda stuff. Just a bit dirty and labor intensive, but not like rocket surgery to do it. After seeing the pictures of the polished stock rotors, I think I'll be forced to do mine also. I have new brake pads awaiting the wearing thin of the stockers, so I'll do it at that point. Thanks for showing the picture, gives me more to do to my scoot, but at no added cost, just a little time...PACO

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Well ive run some tests an its gonna be some work and i really dont know if i can get the shine like the pro's get because of all the different compounds they use but my test rotor looks pretty good . Im not done yet but now i have a better feel for what direction i should go as far as sanding disk grits etc.. As fas as the buffing I have an old craftsman buffer i used to wheel out cars with and its a spare now so im trying different polishing compounds with it.. Regular 3m rubbing compound dont work all bad
Dave

Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Ok i polished my *** off all day after my test run monday on a spare rotor and although they look good i cant seem to get the chrome look shine to em... any tips or tricks? I havent put it back together yet ... I started with my d/a sander and 80 grit then 150 followed by 320 and i may have to go finer but that would be a wet sanding job to get a finer grit.. My hands are sore now .. I tried meguires polish and regular 3m compound and also wenol and used my buffing wheel for auto paint jobs and they pretty much all had the same results.. How do i get the chrome look...
Dave