Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles on your laced RKC wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 5000 miles on my 08 RKC and got my first flat tire. I ran over a reversible flat head/phillips head bit (the kind you would put on the end of a power drill). I don't konw if I would have been able to plug it (due to size of hole) if I had cast wheels or not but I sure would have liked the option. Had to have it towed to local dealer. Luckily for me I was just cruising around town. It sure would suck to be out on the road somewhere with no ability to fix the damn thing. Looking into some cast wheels now.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Can't remember how many mile were on it when this happened, around 65,000 I think.

Attached Thumbnails How many miles on your laced RKC wheels?-100_0415.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
EriCal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

65k miles on my RK with stainless spokes. I have never had a tire problem.

E.

Attached Thumbnails How many miles on your laced RKC wheels?-eric.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez
Can't remember how many mile were on it when this happened, around 65,000 I think.
I believe it.

The inside of my wheel that had the spokes come loose was rusty as crap, even though the bike sits inside outta the weather. Before anybody else brings up the lube used for changing tires....I change my own and use Murphy's Oil Soap which is not corrosive.

Check out the pic. How much longer do you think it would have been till either the nipple head rusted off pulled thru or the hole in the rim rusted out enough for the nipple to pull thru?

Attached Thumbnails How many miles on your laced RKC wheels?-wheel.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 PM
jmcollison
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

32K on my '04 FLHRCI. Mind you, I had another bike that became my "primary" so the King sat lonely in the garage during a considerable amount of a two-year stretch while I was spanking the pavement on my Heritage Springer.

I just put a new Metzeler on the rear. It's the third tire (counting the original) so far and I put about 3,000 too many miles on the last one. I have had no problems with the wheels. Then again, I DO live in the desert. Exactly what IS rust??? LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EriCal
65k miles on my RK with stainless spokes. I have never had a tire problem.

E.
I see you have a solo seat. My wife is usually riding on the back with me. I wonder if 2 up riding would be harder on spokes???

Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

O5 RKC 35K.Only problem I had was at about 18k my rear wheel spokes got loose and ruined the wheel and hub.Harley stepped up and replaced it under warranty and no further issues.Love the spokes but my next one won't have them.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
I believe it.

The inside of my wheel that had the spokes come loose was rusty as crap, even though the bike sits inside outta the weather. Before anybody else brings up the lube used for changing tires....I change my own and use Murphy's Oil Soap which is not corrosive.

Check out the pic. How much longer do you think it would have been till either the nipple head rusted off pulled thru or the hole in the rim rusted out enough for the nipple to pull thru?
Yeah, inside of my rim looked just like that.
Someone told me it was from washing the bike drying it off and putting it away. Said I should ride it to get the water out Wouldn't the centrifugal force shoot the water to the middle curve/ center of the tread of the tire, not out the nipples or edge of the rim.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:00 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez
Yeah, inside of my rim looked just like that.
Someone told me it was from washing the bike drying it off and putting it away. Said I should ride it to get the water out Wouldn't the centrifugal force shoot the water to the middle curve/ center of the tread of the tire, not out the nipples or edge of the rim.
Yeah, I don't believe what that someone told you. I always ride mine after washing it to dry the motor......I also believe you are correct the centrifugal force would just sling the water into the tire.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 AM
dcpicks
Advanced

I have 12k on mine and have had no problems. I love the look.

Quick Reply: How many miles on your laced RKC wheels?