Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Electrical Connection Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM
DParker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Electrical Connection Help

Have searched, but am only finding info on powerports and such....

Bike is a '07 Ultra

Installed a Magellan GPS on a Techmount mount and it looks/functions great. Just have it plugged into the cigg lighter for now. Not the cleanest installation, but it works. And no, it won't hit the tank in a hard left turn. It just clears.

Would like a cleaner connection. I like it 'switched' so it turns on/off with the ignition or with the acc circuit. Is there a way to get a better hook up without removing the tank? I know there is an acc outlet near the battery, but what about inside the batwing?

Anything in there to use? Anyway to connect it to the cig lighter from the backside? And can I just use the cigg plug cord by cutting off the cigg plug and directly connecting the wires to something?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
wing_rdr
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GPS Electrical Connection

I installed mine using the aux connector under the seat near the battery. I did not remove the gas tank as you can fish the line through from the front on the right side of the tank using patience and a plastic leader (I used a large twist tye).The most intricate part was using the Duetsch connector to make the proper hook up to the aux connector. Best place to get a connector is either through your local HD dealer or http://www.deutschconnector.com/. Wiring through to a connection behind the batwing is proably simpler but being able to use the aux switch and knowing that if you do not turn the GPS off when the ignition is off so is the unit.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to go inside the fairing there's a pair of connectors on the wire harness for the headlight. Some sort of running/parking light for Euro models I think. It's wired common with your headlight & cigarette lighter. Switched (comes on with the headlight), & only needs a couple of spade connectors crimped to the end of your GPS power wire.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
techdct
Advanced
Default GPS Power Connection to Aux

I ran my power from the front to under the seat for the Aux connection by removing the tank panel on top of the tank. It has only two screws holding it on and there are already other cable/wires already run under there. You just remove the two screws, then the gas cap and lift the cover off and lay it on its back. Then you can run your gps wire through there nice and neat.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:49 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I wired up a second cigarette lighter socket on the inside, connected to the original one. Works well.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
bjryman
Tourer

Checkout www.cyclegadgets.com. They may have harnesses for your model. I have a Garmin Zumo 550 and ordered the harness that plugs into the RAM mount, then behind the faring to a piggyback plug onto the original cigarette lighter and then into a module that attaches to top or radio with AUX plug and wire finally routing out the other side to the faring just enough to plug into the AUX. Leaves the battery and under seat connections open for other items.

Then also connected the Garmin XM radio antenna, an it all works great

Old 02-22-2009, 04:10 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jinks
If you want to go inside the fairing there's a pair of connectors on the wire harness for the headlight. Some sort of running/parking light for Euro models I think. It's wired common with your headlight & cigarette lighter. Switched (comes on with the headlight), & only needs a couple of spade connectors crimped to the end of your GPS power wire.
+1 on this idea. It's how I ran power to my Zumo.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
+1 on this idea. It's how I ran power to my Zumo.
And how I did it on my Road King as well.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinks
As indicated elsewhere on this thread, the ignition switched live wire is readily available in the fairing, but Acc Switched live is not. It is easy to piggyback off the cig lighter, but I have quoted the above statement as this could potentially cause you some problems and needs clarification. Most devices that plug in to a cig lighter have a fair amount of electronics in the "plug" that are specific to that device so you cannot simply connect the GPS power lead straight to 12V by cutting off the cig lighter plug and adding spade terminals. Best thing, as mentioned below, is to fit a 2nd cig lighter socket in the batwing and plug in to that, or get a proper kit

Old 02-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
As indicated elsewhere on this thread, the ignition switched live wire is readily available in the fairing, but Acc Switched live is not. It is easy to piggyback off the cig lighter, but I have quoted the above statement as this could potentially cause you some problems and needs clarification. Most devices that plug in to a cig lighter have a fair amount of electronics in the "plug" that are specific to that device so you cannot simply connect the GPS power lead straight to 12V by cutting off the cig lighter plug and adding spade terminals. Best thing, as mentioned below, is to fit a 2nd cig lighter socket in the batwing and plug in to that, or get a proper kit
I'm sure you're tryin' to help, but the connectors I was referring to are common between the headlight & the cigarette lighter. Most people don't look at the wiring diagram so they don't realize that they are common.

I've been using those connectors for a year & a half for both my GPS, & my garage door opener. Haven't had any problems yet.............<shrug>

Quick Reply: GPS Electrical Connection Help