Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Electrical Connection Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 PM
cms1528
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run your hot wire and ground from the GPS to the the back of the aux plug that's mounted in the fairing and solder them on. Unit works with engine on or off.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 PM
springerchop
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just spliced into the switched cig lighter under the fairing.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
DParker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
...this could potentially cause you some problems and needs clarification. Most devices that plug in to a cig lighter have a fair amount of electronics in the "plug" that are specific to that device so you cannot simply connect the GPS power lead straight to 12V by cutting off the cig lighter plug and adding spade terminals. Best thing, as mentioned below, is to fit a 2nd cig lighter socket in the batwing and plug in to that, or get a proper kit
Ah, that is my worry. Yet it looks like many here are doing just that. So, is the cigg plug just a connection, or does it really contain some sort of electronics? The cigg cord has a proprietary plug into the GPS, so I'd like to use it. But is it safe to just lop off the plug and use the wires directly?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jinks
I'm sure you're tryin' to help, but the connectors I was referring to are common between the headlight & the cigarette lighter. Most people don't look at the wiring diagram so they don't realize that they are common.

I've been using those connectors for a year & a half for both my GPS, & my garage door opener. Haven't had any problems yet.............<shrug>
I understand what you are saying in terms of where you pick up the switched live, although according the the cct diagram I have for 2008 touring model it is not the same that is not what I was cautioning about.

I have come across a number of people who cut off the cig lighter plug that comes with a SatNav charger, added spade terminals to the wires and plugged that in to 12V. Most devices (not all I know) have electronics inside the cig lighter plug which regulate the voltage supply to the device, so if you take this out the circuit you will damage the device. That is the only point I was trying to clarify

Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DParker
Ah, that is my worry. Yet it looks like many here are doing just that. So, is the cigg plug just a connection, or does it really contain some sort of electronics? The cigg cord has a proprietary plug into the GPS, so I'd like to use it. But is it safe to just lop off the plug and use the wires directly?
Sorry, didn't see this before replying to Jinks. I would ABSOLUTELY not assume you can cut it off, and with confidence I would say that there are electronics inside the cig lighter plug that will control voltage and current for charging purposes. For example, a lot of devices nowadays are designed to link to pc's via the USB connection and can be charged through this connection. A USB connection is 5V, not 12V (in fact up to 13.8V when bike is running). As stated above, for me the best option is to buy a female cig socket and mount it inside the fairing and use the standard cable you got. There is loads of room and you keep your cable standard.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:17 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I know is that my Zumo motorcycle harness didn't come with a cig plug on it, just the car hook up did. Instructions said to connect it to 12v source. Some cig plugs may prevent overcharging of batteries in the devices they run, so this should be investigated before assuming it is ok.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Do not cut off the end...............

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Sorry, didn't see this before replying to Jinks. I would ABSOLUTELY not assume you can cut it off, and with confidence I would say that there are electronics inside the cig lighter plug that will control voltage and current for charging purposes. For example, a lot of devices nowadays are designed to link to pc's via the USB connection and can be charged through this connection. A USB connection is 5V, not 12V (in fact up to 13.8V when bike is running). As stated above, for me the best option is to buy a female cig socket and mount it inside the fairing and use the standard cable you got. There is loads of room and you keep your cable standard.
Like he said... MOST... GPS's are 5v... so yes.. you DO have to use the plug on the end of the cord to power it.

If in doubt..take a meter and chk the output ..if it is 12v.. then you can wire it directly.. if not...you have to keep the plug...
or.. just chk the technical specs in your manual..it should tell you how much voltage it takes..

Last edited by kyote; 02-23-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 AM
littlebear
Tourer

As I do not use mine all that much, mainly long trips, I found a adapter at Auto Zone that plugs into cig lighter that swivels like my Ram mount. It is a lighter on one side and a 12v acc plug on the other that plug into bike lighter. As I smoke this works for me. It is made by "Bell" and was $14.00. Not any work and so far I had served it purpose. Just a thought.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by DParker
I know there is an acc outlet near the battery, but what about inside the batwing? Anything in there to use? Anyway to connect it to the cig lighter from the backside?
Yes. I tend to want to keep things as simple as I can and still have it work, and I used one of the commonly-available automotive clip-on connectors to tie into the cigarette lighter hot lead for power to my radar detector, which is also inside the batwing, but you can power something else from there just as well.

The advantage is that it saves you the bother of chasing down a "Deutsch" connector or anything else to mate up with, and also saves that power source under the seat for something else in the future.

Last edited by racklefratz; 02-23-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wing_rdr
I installed mine using the aux connector under the seat near the battery. I did not remove the gas tank as you can fish the line through from the front on the right side of the tank using patience and a plastic leader (I used a large twist tye).The most intricate part was using the Duetsch connector to make the proper hook up to the aux connector. Best place to get a connector is either through your local HD dealer or http://www.deutschconnector.com/. Wiring through to a connection behind the batwing is proably simpler but being able to use the aux switch and knowing that if you do not turn the GPS off when the ignition is off so is the unit.
+1. Use the switched connector under the seat.

Quick Reply: GPS Electrical Connection Help