Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does custom paint hurt value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Does custom paint hurt value?

I saw a Tangelo Pearl (House of Kolor) Street Glide at the motorcycle show in Oklahoma City yesterday and I can't get it off my mind. No other graphics, just that Tangerine Orange color. The owner pointed me to the painter and he told me he could do it for less than $2000 because it was a solid color. I'm looking for an 09 SG and orange is talking to me. Am I hurting myself?

Beary

Old 02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO if you bought it to resell it, leave it stock as you never get the money back from add ons... Now, if you bought it to ride and enjoy it, by all means personalize it and fall in love all over again....

Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Well the way I figure it is if YOU like it, it's something you are doing for YOURSELF.. I wouldn't expect to recoup that investment when you eventually sell it... UNLESS someone's absolutely in love with what you've done. Been there and done that... on the other hand when you go to sell one day, someone could love everything you've done to the bike except they hate the paint lol... it's a toss up. Personally, if you like it I'd say go for it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM
5 Speed Suicide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you only planning on riding it for one year or so? Sounds like you are considering selling it before you have even bought one. What you might think is awesome, someone else may think it's ugly. Leaving it stock is the best way to go for resale.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Good question. I think I'm just trying to figure out what custom painting does to value. I've always believed that in cars and motorcycles, you don't increase the value with add-ons, so I'm willing to give up that cost. I was just wondering if it lowered the value. Not many orange bikes out there, but there might be a reason. There has been an Orange RG sitting in the dealership for a couple months now.

Beary

Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 AM
67riv
Advanced

I bet it was a sharp looking bike, if you like it & your credit card is good for it dont hesitate you will be stimulating the economy(at least the painters economy) but dont be afraid to ride it just because it has 2g's in paint, it is not that much fun just looking & polishing it

Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 67riv
I bet it was a sharp looking bike, if you like it & your credit card is good for it dont hesitate you will be stimulating the economy(at least the painters economy) but dont be afraid to ride it just because it has 2g's in paint, it is not that much fun just looking & polishing it
Ya, I thought of that. My bike is a daily driver 60 miles a day to work and back and I typically put a lot of miles on weekends as well. It would get the miles. I asked the painter if he would give me a good clear coat because I would likely be buffing it a lot, he said three to four coats. I don't know if that is a lot or not.

Beary

Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A good make over-paint- does not hurt resale but may increase the value. Sometimes a certain color may require some one who likes the same color.
When I pick a bike I pick the color I like and when I get the urge to trade I might just paint it. A lot cheaper than trading and gives you that new bike feel again.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:15 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Any time custom paint goes on, the value is going to change (up or down) depending on the way it is done & how well it is done. I think most people that ride HD would rather have a one off paint but just can't justify getting it done (time or money). Just my opinion

Toby

Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Beary,
Custom painting can both help you and hurt you. It helps in that it makes your bike unique. However, it can hurt you if you choose a color that is too extreme, because you limit the 'potential' buyer pool.

That said, the Tangelo Pearl is a beautiful color and appears to be fairly popular with custom bike builders.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Does custom paint hurt value?