Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does custom paint hurt value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I saw a Tangelo Pearl (House of Kolor) Street Glide at the motorcycle show in Oklahoma City yesterday and I can't get it off my mind. No other graphics, just that Tangerine Orange color. The owner pointed me to the painter and he told me he could do it for less than $2000 because it was a solid color. I'm looking for an 09 SG and orange is talking to me. Am I hurting myself?

Beary
I'm a painter by trade and have owned 7 bikes since 2000 and I've painted every one of them. Except for my 7th and current bike, I've sold every one of them with no problems. Matter of fact the paint is what helped make quick sales. I'm not going to lie, I didn't make much more on the sales because of the paint but the bikes all moved quickly. The buyers all were attracted to the paint. Since I do all my own paint work I didn't have a bunch invested other than time. You're going to take a hit by invested $2K, you won't recoup that. Obviously if you picked a crappy color or did some sort of questionable graphics you may run into a problem. Tangelo is a nice color and will not be a problem. Most guys want custom paint but can't justify spending the dough. Go to a rally and look at all the stock paint jobs, the only bikes that stand out are the ones with custom colors!! They don't have to be extravagant paint jobs just different from everyone else's. Just like the orange one you saw at the show. I just painted my '09 Ultra with an orange pearl and used a black pearl for the two-tone and flames and have no doubts that when I go to get rid of it that the paint will help the sale. In my opinion graphics can be dated, one look at some graphics and you can tell if they're from the 60's, 70's, 80's etc. etc. Flames have stood the test of time and I'll always be a big fan of them. In your case going with a mono-tone paint job in Tangelo you'll have ZERO problems with resale. Orange is no different than any other color, some guys like blue, some like red, some green, etc.. When people are shopping for a used bike color choice isn't as big an option as when ordering a new bike. Go for it and enjoy. Larry

Old 02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All it takes is One person to like it!!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,267 Likes on 7,397 Posts

Yes in my opinion is can hurt the value. Stock appeals to the masses and custom appeals to a few that share the same tastes.

One thing is for sure you will not get your $$$ back in most cases.

But I like a custom bike as much as the next guy and I bought a complete take off set of tins on eBay and had them custom painted. That way I enjoy them without changing my factory stock setup.

Good luck and do what makes you happy. It is your dollars $$$ you are spending and you will be the one looking at the bile and riding ti every day.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:44 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Geoff
Custom pain affects resale value. Most people prefer stock bikes.
My opinion also - based on personal experience, both buying and selling.

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-22-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had custom paint on my last 5 bikes and had no problem selling or trading any of them. In fact, my 92 FXRS Convertible with custom paint brought $13700 in TRADE 2 years ago. Granted, I had some other custom work done to it, but that was still a lot of trade money for a 92. The dealer sold it 3 weeks later for $14900.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Thanks for the replies, its kind of what I thought. The paint likely won't help the value, but it won't hurt it either. I just need to decide if its worth $2000 and if I want to look at the color everyday.

Thanks again, and I'm including a pic of the SG I took with the cell phone.

Beary

Attached Thumbnails Does custom paint hurt value?-test2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been changing my 09 Street Glide from the day I got it.
Already Painted the fairing and am extending the bags and moving the signals to the bags with leds and then flushing the rear fender.
I saw the same bike and thought it looked pretty good to.The color is not hard to shoot and if you had a new canvas such as new parts you can get it done for less.
I do not care about adding value as much as If I just need to move it will it sell faster?