Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use to get crap off your pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds crazy, cause it did when I first read it also, but a nickel will take the worst stuff off your pipes, melted windbreaker - stuff like that.
The nickel is softer than the metal in the chrome. If you don't believe me try in on one spot when the pipes are cold, but don't gouge too hard. I've used a nickel plenty of times in the same spot - you know, the one on the right side right behind the rear jug - and have no scratches on the pipe there from it.
When you have most of the heavy stuff off, put some chrome polish on some 00 steel wool and gently work off the remainder.
Works every time.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 AM
5 Speed Suicide
Tourer

Originally Posted by mervt198
Steel wool or razor blades can scratch the chrome. A penny, made of copper is softer and will not scratch. I melted my rainsuit to the exhaust, I scraped with a penny, it all came off. I wouldn't use oven cleaner, it can damage adjacent paint
BS...I've been using steel wool on my softail for 12 years and never had a problem. It is 10x faster than a penny.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Buy a gallon of kerosene for $3 bucks and you'll have enough cleaner to last for years. Just dip ultra fine steel wool in it, and do your whole pipe and muffler. It will instantly remove road grime, tar, and those nasty heel marks. Wash with soapy water to remove the kerosene residue, and you'll have a shine like you can't believe.

Wear rubber gloves, however, as kerosene is a solvent and can be absorbed through your skin.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:02 AM
FLHX06
Novice

The easiest solution I have used is Easy Off Oven CLeaner. When you get back from a ride wait about 10 minutes (just enough for the pipes to cool a little) then spray the spot with the oven cleaner. Wait 15 mins or so and the spot should come off pretty easily while wiping with a rag.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use steel wool and wd-40, then follow up with some chrome polish or wax.

If that doesn't take it off, I go with some gas on a rag, or the EZ-Off as a last resort.

Most of the time, boot marks will come right off with a fingernail scraping. That's why I keep my chrome polished or waxed all the time......makes cleaning a lot easier.

Steve

Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 AM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A few years ago someone mentioned using a balled up piece of aluminum foil. Last season I came back from the store to find what looked like a serious sabotage job on my brand new pipes! Stuff was baked on the heat shields in places that could not have come from anything from the road. First I tried the WD-40. Nothing. Then I tried the oven cleaner by spraying it on a rag and dabbing it on. Nothing. I finally remembered the post about aluminum foil. It really works! And not a scratch was left by it. Followed it up with some micro polish for chrome and aluminum.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:07 AM
frittsk
Tourer

I use the finest steel wool I can get. Soak it up with window cleaner or other spray cleaner that I use on the bike and lightly remove the boot marks. Never had it scratch the chrome. Quick and easy.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:42 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a pair of bright red panties.

I tell her to put them on, then go clean the pipes with some 000 steel wool and WD-40.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:25 PM
BanjoBill
Cruiser

0000 Steel Wool and WD 40 or even Window Cleaner. The WD or Cleaner works as a lube with the Steel Wool shouldn't leave any scratches.

....Bill

Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM
lschultz
Road Master
Thumbs up

Ya bright re painties with a bush in the middle and some butt cheeks hanging out.

Quick Reply: What do you use to get crap off your pipes?