Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Wing Riders???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
PAYogi
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Wing Riders???

I recently joined the forum to get some info. I have been lurking for quite a while. Please don't take any of my statements as a bash on HD. I try to educate myself as much as possible on purchases and I like ALL brands of motorcycles. I'm a firm believer that if it has 2 wheels, it's cool!!

I was raised on Honda's, I have had 18 bikes in my life, most of them Honda's, My favorite of all was my 2000 Valkyrie Tourer, I then got a streak of patriotism and went looking at HD and Victory. I loved the looks of the Road Glide. It's funny that most died in orange guys consider it the "ugly duckling" but after riding it, I was really disappointed. Underpowered and reliability issues. (this was 2004). I always said that if they would fix the issues and give it a kick in power, i'd look more seriously. Well the '09's have arrived and it appears the moco has finally figured it out.

So Now, I have been looking at buying a Road Glide again. In fact i have one on order that should be here the first week in March. But if it doesn't perform, I'm not locked in.

So here's my questions:
I currently am on a GL1800 wing, Great bike but boring. i also have a VFR 800 for the days I want to raise hell. That one I'm keeping.

What suggestions or comments can this educated group make to help me understand the differences. what am i going to like, what am I going to miss? i ride fairly aggressively and I run about 20,000 miles per year.

Thoughts??

Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This modern generation of H-D's is supremely reliable and easy to maintain. My last bike had 92k on it when it got totalled by a hit n run driver and it had never been on a tow truck and had never failed me or left me on the side of the road. I did all my own basic maintenance.

My current bike is an '09 RK and I couldnt be happier. My bike is my primarcy transportation year around here in So Cal and I log around 30k a year routinely. I couldn't afford to have or deal with a bike that was not 100% reliable.

My first street bike was an '01 Yamaha V-Star 1100. That bike was on a tow truck about 4 times in the 14 months I rode it (put 30k on it in that time). Neither of my H-D's have seen a tow truck or failed me - NEVER.

Now one thing you won't find from an H-D if you're coming off a GW is power. They don't compare in that regard. These are cruisers, not sport bikes.

COMFORT is where H-D reigns supreme. They're smooth and comfortable and will give you 15 hour days in the saddle.

The saddle bags on H-D touring bikes are the best made. They're sturdy, big and roomy and attractive - something that few other bikes can claim.

Fit and Finish. This is where H-D leads the pack also. I've not seen a bike with better paint/chrome than H-D. Very classy and no plastic.

Simplicity. They're easy to do basic maintenance on. I've never had a GW but one thing I've heard about them is certain aspects of mainenance on them is not easy - air filter I think it was? Not sure, but whatever part is was required removing some panels and an unreasonable amount of effort for such a basic mainenance proceedure if I remember reading it correctly.

Good luck with your RG, it has a loyal following that's for sure.

Last edited by Arizona; 02-20-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You will love the SOUND and the FEEL of the HARLEY, and look back with no regrets just like a lot of other guys here did before you. You will miss nothing, and if its about power. You can modify these engines to suit your needs. Sure the japanese bikes rev a lot higher, and the Harley about half that. But you have to remember HARLEYS are known as the cruisers. But can still be extremely aggressive, and theres always something to add or change. You"ll love the new found spending sprees.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ GOOD LUCK

Old 02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by PAYogi
...Thoughts??
I've read this post about 20 times and keep coming back to the same suggestion...stay with your Wing.

Until you've had a change to ride the Harley of your interest, I would not suggest purchasing one. Spend at least a day or two in the saddle and put miles on one under conditions that you currently ride.

Some dealers offer single-day rentals on several models...I'd suggest you take advantage of that opportunity.

With all that said, I moved from a GL1800 (two of them actually) to an Ultra Classic so I think I have a perspective on your position.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM
webbhead
Tourer

This is my first Harley and I too have had wings for the past 10 years....my recent was an 07 1800 with navigation heated seats etc.....We bought an Ultra and I can tell you I like the fact that we don't get the head wind. We did not miss the heated seats....but I do miss the navigation but i can work through that. we were having a lot of trouble with the wing...the navigation kept going out and we had lifter noise and only had 12000 miles....The handling seems as good and the power is great as the 09 is geared better. I like my Harley just great and I will not go back to a Honda again!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Jambon1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand!!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
PAYogi
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Jambon1
If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand!!!!
That is of no use, I asked a thoughtful question, I would ask that only those with something to say respond.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
gillie64
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 6 Posts

If only the metric guys would look up they could follow along. I have riden all my life, non harley. But when you go harley you get so much more. The dealerships are cool, the H.O.G. group, magizine. All the aftermarket to make your bike yours. The fellowship. I know it's not all american made stuff at harley but overall it's a american bike. There are so many styles, the gatherings from the chili cook off to the 105th bash. The group rides if you want. Along with H.O.G. some perks. It FEELS like a motorcycle, sounds like a bike. There are so many things it's hard to discribe. Things you will miss, the looks your buddy gets when he pulls up on his honda and the grin and a hand shake you'll get from someone you don't even know when you pull up on your HOG. Keep the rubber side down

Last edited by gillie64; 02-20-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:11 PM
nhjoe
Advanced

two different animals harley s are cool to be seen on, hondas arnt !
honda you can wear lofas when riding harley s you cant!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,756 Likes on 463 Posts

Stay with your Honda, you sound like a true Honda owner.
I had an '01 Wing and loved it. Have an '03 FLHT and wouldn't go back to the Honda, but that's just me. I couldn't care less about Harleys' magazine,cook offs or group rides. My wife and I log about 12K per year, mostly by ourselves. Hope to someday take a month long tour , just haven't had the chance yet.
For what it's worth, in MY opinion, the '01 Wing had WAY more power, handled way better at low speeds especially and rode every bit as good as my Harley. But my Harley just ooozes sweet !!! It sounds awesome and looks 100 TIMES better than any Wing I've ever seen. It doesn't look like a sleek 2010 motorcycle, but more like an old classic. I also like older cars better than the new ones, that's just me. Offer me a 1968 Dodge Charger or a new 2009, I'll take the old one any day..

Quick Reply: Any Wing Riders???