Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour packs..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added this quick detach Classic on my RG and I did not buy the relocation kit for the anteanna. The Tour Pack came with a mount for the anteanna already mounted, so all I had to buy for that part was an extesion wire and an adapter to plug it onto where the anteanna was enscrewed from. It takes 5 minutes and no tools to remove it from my bike. Also,I heard alot of guys talking about vibrations of the quick detach hardware,but I just got back from Mississippi and it did not vibrate one time. I also opted for the one without the lights so that is one more elec. wire I don't have to worry about. I just unscrew the anteanna wire adapter take off the TP,then replace the anteanna to it's original location and I am ready to go.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If all you are wanting it for is on Road Trips, I'd just buy a big T-Bag of some sort. They hold a lot more. The Tour Paks are handy for everyday usage.

http://www.tbags.com/productsall.aspx

You could get one for the rear seat and one for behind the Sissy Bar.

Here's a Chopped Tour Pak I use for messing around local riding.
I like the looks much better than the King and it holds all I want, except for a Full size helmet.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 AM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Tour Pak Street Glide

Round 550
This is the reason why when I got my 08 Electra Glide Classic I agonized for weeks, the Street Glide or the Electra Glide, while I love the looks of the Street Glide low mean and stripped down I figured one day I would be in your situation and want to add a Tour Pak. Truth is I put detachables on the EG and have had the tour pak sitting on the wall in garage only used it a few times. I like the street glide look! LOL anyways Id do like some other guys on the forum said buy a nice size tour bag, like "SACS" or the HD version and theyre great get a rack thats detachable or just strap it to your seat it will work great the more room ya have the more ya bring!!! thats me !! I always wondered why the motor Co charges more for the Street Glide than the Electra Glide? Duh!! Ride Safe BV

Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Concrete Cowboy 2009
Cruiser

I was curious about the same issue. Is there more than one style of docking hardware? I've not got my Road King yet, and I was curious if there was a difference in "regular" docking hardware, and docking hardware for a tour-pack. I apologize for the ignorance.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The tour pack and two-up rack require the 4-point dock. For just a passenger backrest or solo rack you can use the 2-point kit.

A SACS type bag works great for solo riding but you can't beat a tour pak for two-up touring.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by round550
Have an 08 streetglide,lookin into a tour pack.Head'n to Sturgis and need some more storage space.Was wondering what kind of packs some of you guys with streetglides are using.Want it to be detatchable for sure.Wasn't sure about the docking hardware either.Wanted something that looked clean and not like a growth on the back of my bike.Any imput would be great .... THANKS FELLOWS.
IMO, there is no such TP--they're all big boxes and the bike looks better without it on the back.

Many HDF'ers (myself included) have found the Mutazu aftermarket tour paks to be excellent value. I have an HD King TP and the Mutazu and the latter will hold about 85% of the King; certainly more than the chopped TP. The Mutazu comes with a backrest, lock and key. At $110 for black, or $190 for color-matched, it's significantly less $$$ than the HD TP's.

Use the search function and you will find plenty of Mutazu posts.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM
spankustang
Cruiser

My wife and I went on vacation last year and I was trying to figure out the same thing. Looked at t-bags and aftermarket tour packs. Didn't care for them. The t-bags were not very secure, and you would still need a luggage rack. The aftermarket tour packs didn't seem to have the quality or the looks of the HD pack. So started looking online, mostly ebay, for them. I found quite a few. BUT, by the time i bought one, had it painted, and hoped it wasn't damaged, I would have only had MAYBE a hundred dollars less than a new one. So I just went to my dealer and talked my way into a 15% discount on the whole setup, including quick detach, matching locks, and it came out great.
PS: I only use my tour pack when I travel. So it sits in my garage a lot.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
round550
Advanced
Cool

Have an 08 streetglide,lookin into a tour pack.Head'n to Sturgis and need some more storage space.Was wondering what kind of packs some of you guys with streetglides are using.Want it to be detatchable for sure.Wasn't sure about the docking hardware either.Wanted something that looked clean and not like a growth on the back of my bike.Any imput would be great .... THANKS FELLOWS.
Should of stated in my original thread that I do not have a backrest and am only riding 1 up.Have seen some pics that look like you can attach a dufflebag instead of using the hardbag set up???? THANKS

Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM
shadowchaser
Tourer

It's a common problem, looks or function? I have the tour pak with the docking hardware. On 2 up trips, I don't think you can beat the TP. Plenty of storage especially since my wife has to bring everything including the proverbial kitchen sink! It does stay in the garage most of the time, but I like having the extra storage space when she is with me. (I'm thrilled she likes to ride along!) I swap it out for the backrest around town, or if it's just me I'll take that off. Everything is a tradeoff. I like the flexibility. Works for me anyway!!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Should of stated in my original thread that I do not have a backrest and am only riding 1 up.Have seen some pics that look like you can attach a dufflebag instead of using the hardbag set up???? THANKS
Before I got my tour pack I just bungeed on a waterproof Ortlieb duffel bag that I picked up from Aerostich

I could have put it across the passenger seat but I laid it lengthwise like this so I could access the saddlebags.

I'll probably use the same combo for solo camping trips as the tour pack looks like overkill when riding without a passenger.

Quick Reply: Tour packs..........