Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road glide owners lets see your tour pacs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
you can add the lights to the "King", then you have no speaker holes to deal with.
I know, I looked into that too. I talked to a guy who did it already and you need to cut "wells" into the corners of the tour pack to accomodate the bulb housings etc and I don't think I want to mess with that. Plus, by the time you add up all the parts needed, (remember you need side marker lights too, and likely a harness) it comes out more expensive then just starting off with the Ultra Pack to begin with. I'm going to use blank empty speaker pods for now and some day may even add real speakers. Thanks for your suggestion.

I've learned so much on this Forum its unreal. All thanks to you guys! DAWG is awesome!!

Last edited by RODEO; 03-06-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Badasscraig
6th Gear
Default Chopper Pad on King Pak

RODEO Im in the same boat as you, I am interested in a King Pak due to the extra capacity but dont like the winged pad. Im not too worried about drilling new holes, so the only issue is the pre-drilled holes on the outside for the winged pad that wont be covered by the chopped pad. Are there any King Paks available that are not pre-drilled for the winged pad? I have a pewter denim 09 Street Glide, and was even considering getting some touchup paint, and painting some plastic plugs and siliconing them in. What do you think of that option?

Also, I will likely not want an antenna on the Pak as I will opt for a short antenna or a faring antenna. Do all Paks come with antenna mounts?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Badass, WELCOME! I see it's post #1 from you!

I myself am not aware of any KING sized packs that are not "predrilled" for the wing type pads and as far as I know, the plain King Pack comes with one antenna mount and the Ultra pack has two antenna mounts. I believe only the "chopped" pack doesnt have either on it. I don't know how well the plugs will look, painted or not because I haven't seen any up close or in photos. If you do it, post some pics as you go.

I take it as a "sign" that no one has posted 'close ups" of those plugs and extra holes. Must be a reason for that right?

Last edited by RODEO; 03-06-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just get the plain tour pack in red to match your bike. It's just a box, not a Christmas tree

Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Just get the plain tour pack in red to match your bike. It's just a box, not a Christmas tree
Except I also won't mind (and really desire) to have the extra tail lights and will add the LED spoiler wired as "brake light only" to help be seen. My biggest worry with ABS brakes is that I "know" I can stop that bike pretty quick and on a dime. What's coming up from behind is what worries me. I'll take all the lights I can get back there and that is one of the reasons I definitely want the Ultra pack. (I know, other light could be added, but the Utra Pack serves many purposes in one shot.) Thanks for the suggestion though..

Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
wi.st.rod
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RODEO
I've asked this same question and PMed a few guys about it too. From what I'm hearing, the holes do not line up and you must drill new holes for the chopped pads. First you need to make your own template too as none is provided. (I don't envision that to be too hard though.) However, the holes towards the outside (where the wings are - 2 per side) will show as will 3 speaker holes per side (on Ultra styled packs) and I have heard that guys are simply plugging them with black grommets etc or trying to paint over the grommets too. That whole idea turned me off though and I myself have decided to just use the correct Ultra - winged pads plus I'm going to use empty speaker pods to cover the speaker holes too. Of course, if you have a black or pearly black bike, the black grommets may not look too bad or noticable. My bike is red and I don't want the extra holes after I'm done with this project.
Thanks for the info. It cost me a few extra bucks, but the way I solved this was to order the Classic King Tour-Pak, and just the lid for a Chopped Tour-Pak, and a Chopped Backrest. I found out via the dealers detailed parts catalog that the lids are interchangeable. As I said, a few extra bucks, but I won't need to drill or plug any holes (and I can look at it as helping the economy)! And, when I want to mount it in the two-up position, I can swap lids and go with the two-up backrest.