Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road glide owners lets see your tour pacs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So guys please, somebody explain this to me. If I buy an "Ultra King" tour pack, it will come pre-drilled for speakers. I want to use the chopped pads and no speakers. SO, how or what did you guys do to hide the speaker holes??

It's turning out to be quite some project as apparently there is no "fixed mount" bracket for the 09 tour packs. Best I can get is one from an "Ultra" and that has an extra license plate bracket attached to it underneath. The harley parts and Accessory catalog does not show half of what is required, no wiring harness, no fixed bracket etc. Everybody tries to steer me to the removable docking brackets (which I don't want) and now I have to worry about this $1400 project that will have extra unwanted "holes" in it... Some advice will make me feel better about it from those who've already done it. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread! I had been contemplating a Road Glide but was wondering about the ability to attach tour pac,lowers,CB and intercom. One gets use to those when on an Ultra but as an Ultra owner very curious about advantages of a frame fixed fairing......Lots and lots of great looking rigs here.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 03-04-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally think the Chopped Pak looks the best on a Road Glide.

JMO, Here's mine.

Attached Thumbnails Road glide owners lets see your tour pacs-img_0997.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by Chicago Spike
The solo rider option will move the tourpack over where the passenger pad would be normally. So the backrest on the trunk is now the riders backrest. I use the passenger seat to hold my bag on trips so I did not want the trunk moved up to my back.

Once you do that, it looks like you could exceed the ridiculous reccomended weight limit of the factory stcok set up. I think its like 25-30 pound for the total tour pac weight allowance. One could easily exceed 50lbs without trying to hard.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
I personally think the Chopped Pak looks the best on a Road Glide.

JMO, Here's mine.
To me the RG (any eglide for that matter) looks naked without lowers.

And very nice looking rig you got there. Always been partial to black,Orange and white. Once had 1996 Buell S2T that was half black half orange and a white stripe down the middle.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 03-04-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 PM
wi.st.rod
Cruiser
Default Request for info (once more)

To all of you that are running the chopped backrest on a King Tour-Pak -- how did you mount it? I have been told that the mounting holes do not match. Did you drill new holes? How did you plug the stock holes? Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:43 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wi.st.rod
To all of you that are running the chopped backrest on a King Tour-Pak -- how did you mount it? I have been told that the mounting holes do not match. Did you drill new holes? How did you plug the stock holes? Thanks.
I've asked this same question and PMed a few guys about it too. From what I'm hearing, the holes do not line up and you must drill new holes for the chopped pads. First you need to make your own template too as none is provided. (I don't envision that to be too hard though.) However, the holes towards the outside (where the wings are - 2 per side) will show as will 3 speaker holes per side (on Ultra styled packs) and I have heard that guys are simply plugging them with black grommets etc or trying to paint over the grommets too. That whole idea turned me off though and I myself have decided to just use the correct Ultra - winged pads plus I'm going to use empty speaker pods to cover the speaker holes too. Of course, if you have a black or pearly black bike, the black grommets may not look too bad or noticable. My bike is red and I don't want the extra holes after I'm done with this project.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the "King" TP come predrilled? Or is it just the "ultra" King TP that comes predrilled? My buddy bought the King TP, and it doesn't have any speaker holes.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Only the Ultra version comes predrilled with speaker holes. The plain king does not. But the big difference for me is the Ultra one has lights on it and the plain king does not. Both are predrilled for the "winged" pads though. (I myself have been researching this to death for the past few days - because I want to order one so please don't think I'm trying to be a "know it all" here. I'm just trying to share what I have learned is all.)

Last edited by RODEO; 03-06-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you can add the lights to the "King", then you have no speaker holes to deal with.

Quick Reply: Road glide owners lets see your tour pacs