Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Accessory Switch with Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using Accessory Switch with Driving Lights

Has anyone with a RG wired in driving lights and used the acc. switch to turn them on and off? Is it hard and could I do it with a service manual?

Last edited by Jukebox; 02-18-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:50 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Forgive my ignorance but I am not sure what Driving Lights are, it is a term I have not used in the UK. In essence, you can wire anything you want through the accessory switch SO LONG AS the current drawn does not blow the fuse. The fuse that serves this circuit is a 15A fuse, but other devices are also protected by this so I would be nervous of anything over 5 or 6 Amps (and I would read the fineprint in the spec sheet for the lights to see if there is a start up surge current).

If in doubt, I would add a relay to the circuit and power the light through that. Automotive relays are dead cheap, readily available and easy to install.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:42 AM
txgeezer
Tourer

Iam going to guess the Road Glide is no different than other touring models. Search on user Shrink, he has a great write up on using wally world driving lights via his own switch mounted on the dash. The accessory switch will be basically the same.

Pull your seat and you should find the accessory connector. Get a pigtail from HD #70264-94A so you don't have to F up your harness. Pin 1 on the connector is switched via the ignition switch (on if ignition is on). Pin 3 is switched by the accessory switch. Verify all that with a meter.

Wire a relay to the Pin 3 wire from the switch to one side of the relay coil, gnd to other side of relay coil. Then wire your lights hot wire to the other set of relay terminals and hot 12V to the other, (use an in-line fuse here).

If you get the wally world lights detailed in Shrinks post, it even comes with the wire, terminals and in line fuse holder with fuse for $15. You don't have to use the lights if you don't want to - it will cost near $15 to buy the other stuff and the lights are great but thats up to you. All you need now is the relay which you can get at any auto parts store.

The PITA is raising or removing the tank to run the wire. I didn't do that, I went down my crash bars and under the motor but my lights are crash bar mounted.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by txgeezer; 02-19-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
smittydog27
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motolights

I just wired in a set of motolights and they use the AUX switch for control. They have a great set up for hooking up the lights to the AUX pigtail under the seat. Also, the lights mount on the brake caliper bolts and they are 'clean' looking. The light output is good too. I upgraded to the 55w bulbs (std is 35w). Bulbs are warranted for life and the unit is American made. I actually went over to their warehouse (in Cincy) to pick them up.

www.motolight.com

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

I'm lazy I guess, I mounted the HD fog Lamps, and used the switch that came with the kit, right there by my left thumb, if I decide to turn off

Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

I went with the HD Fog Lights on my SG. Went with them because they where 129 & the spots where 370. Buy yourself a HD manual. It took a friend & I about 3 hours at a slow pace. Took our time went by the book & ran everything the same as the dealer would (talked to a tec later). I will drill the highway bars in the next few weeks don't like the looks of the wires & ties showing. It makes it a little easier if you have as little in the tank as possible. Have blankets around for the Fairing, Saddlebags, Seat, & side cover. Here is 2 pics of working on it.

And one done

Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
gmurdock
Tourer

I went with the HD Fog Lights on my SG. Went with them because they where 129 & the spots where 370. Buy yourself a HD manual. It took a friend & I about 3 hours at a slow pace. Took our time went by the book & ran everything the same as the dealer would (talked to a tec later). I will drill the highway bars in the next few weeks don't like the looks of the wires & ties showing. It makes it a little easier if you have as little in the tank as possible. Have blankets around for the Fairing, Saddlebags, Seat, & side cover. I cut off the switch that came with it & used the ACC Switch. Here is 2 pics of working on it.

And one done

Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Originally Posted by smittydog27
I just wired in a set of motolights and they use the AUX switch for control. They have a great set up for hooking up the lights to the AUX pigtail under the seat. Also, the lights mount on the brake caliper bolts and they are 'clean' looking. The light output is good too. I upgraded to the 55w bulbs (std is 35w). Bulbs are warranted for life and the unit is American made. I actually went over to their warehouse (in Cincy) to pick them up.

www.motolight.com
+1 on the Motolights, they are awesome and guaranteed for life. The kit they supply is custom for my Ultra and very handy wired to the Aux switch. Motolights are expensive, but I think they're the best you can buy.