Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of New Premium Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow big improvement. Looks good. Do they make the lid feel less wobbly when open???

Old 02-19-2009, 06:09 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a set yesterday...they made a tour pack rack appear on your bike ... Will they do that for mine?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the compliment BadPiggy.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

HD is claiming that they WILL NOT fit chopped tour paks. The website conflicts itself, but the fitment states NO. I verified with a MOCO rep that there is some issue with chopped fitment

Old 02-19-2009, 07:30 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q Hog
Sweet addition Scooter. It looks a more stylish! Can it work on police hard bags hinge?
Dang, Q that's a good question - I'm pretty disappointed that I didn't think of it! I'm probably gonna put these hinges on my tour pak today or tomorrow, so I'll hold one of them up to my RK to see if it would work. I'll post after I know anything.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up hinges

These are a definite " GOTTA HAVE " item.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Q and Hoz: You could PM Dawg and ask him to compare the part nos. for the hinges on the cop bags with those on the TP. Richard Pomeroy sells chrome billet hinges for TP's and cop bags ($173.50 for the set to do the bags) and I asked him if he uses the same hinges for the TP and cop bags. He told me he doesn't; that they are very similar, but different.

My buddy has the Pomeroy hinges on his black RK police bike and they look very good.

Hope the HD hinges will work for you guys; those OEM strap hinges had a lot to do with me selling my police bags and buying civilian bags as part of my paint project.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Scooter308
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timvan
I just got a set yesterday...they made a tour pack rack appear on your bike ... Will they do that for mine?
They might...

I figured while I had the lid off on the bench it would be the best time to put the airwing on also, it has the running light/brake light also, have to wire that up still.

Working on the front end also, installed my painted inner fairing, waiting on my forks to come back with the chrome lowers from my buddy so I can get that all wrapped up.

Last edited by Scooter308; 02-19-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I installed mine last week. I love them. They seem to weigh about four times what the original ones weigh.
They do make the lid less wobbly. Less play in the hinge pin.
You do need to drill the box after the rivets come out since the new screws are too tight. I used an 11/64th bit instead of the recommended 3/16th. It's closer to the size of the screw without being tight. Don't want to put pressure on the plastic with a screw that's too tight, and too loose is less accurate.
Big tip! With the lid upside down on my bench I placed a piece of high quality duct tape over the gasket, making sure it covers all the way to the inside edge, then I pulled the tape downward and stuck it to the inside of the lid. Gasket completely out of the way and both hands free. Obviously it's important to use tape that is wide enough and grippy enough yet still comes off clean and doesn't rip the gasket. This method worked great for me. Enjoy

Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I said it before and I'll say it again, I had no idea the factory hinges looked so crappy until I saw the new hinges. I'm ordering mine net trip to the dealer. Those look fantastic!

Quick Reply: Pics of New Premium Hinges