Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol Gum Up the Works?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol Gum Up the Works?

I have an 08 Ultra Classic as my main ride. However, from time-to-time I scoot around on my son's 2000 Yamaha YZF600. He didn't ride it at all for about 6 months, most of which did not have Stabil in the tank. Now, it's hard to start and when you pull away from a stop it stumbles unless you throttle through the stumble. At highway speed, it has plenty of smooth, linear power. The dealer is indicating ethanol when stored for a long time in the carburetor can "separate" and cause a gel type issue in the bottom of the bowls. Can anyone comment on the validity of this suggestion and what the likely remedy will be? Sorry for interjecting a rice burner issue but I'm throwing myself on the mercy of my fellow Harley owners.

Last edited by thehueg; 02-18-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a true statement, i just had to replace my fuel filter on my bagger after 3 months because of ethanol. Now a friend just brought over his 82 goldwing for me to work on and i had to pull the carbs and rebuild them and clean them up because he did the same thing let it sit for about 6 months with no stabile and ethanol in the tank.....just my .02

Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, any fuel left long enough untreated (or longer if treated) will gum up. While ethanol may or may not make it happen faster, it will happen with all fuels in the end. Get out there and ride! Problem solved!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Sometimes some Techron injector cleaner can help.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
BruceFenster
Intermediate

Yes gas containing ethanol will gum of the works in no time flat. Lots of problems with my Honda CB750. You probably more than goo in the bowl there is probably goo in all the fuel passages as well.

Honda dealer says it is the number one problem he sees with customers. They've even had to clean new carbs that sat on the show room floor to long.

I try not to leave gas with ethanol, which is all I can buy, in anything I want to work right, for more than 2 months. For my CB750 I buy a gallon of 100LL at the local airport. Man the 750 loves that stuff which is about 108 octane and NO ethanol.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing good about ethanol. Gumming up the works is just one of them. I buy real gas whenever possible and I will for sure run at least 3 tanks of pure gas through it before putting my bike up for the winter.

If you are in the mood to get really pissed off Google ethanol & the university of Minnesota. The UofM spent 5 years studying the issue. Its all bad... from increasing out food prices to negative impacts on the environment.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

If ethanol gummed up the works, I wouldn't have any thing that ran. I get most of my gas at a ethanol station. Some of my vehicles have a tank in them for a long time. For example, I filled my carb Jeep up this week. My gas log showed the last gas I got in it was the middle of November. I have 6 vehicles and an inboard powered boat. Never had carb or FI issues with any of them.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 AM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

I burn 10% Ethanol blend regular all the time in all my gas motors and scoots. No problems. it has a bit higher octane rating of 89 where regular is 87. I wouldn't leave any kind of fuel sit around in a fuel tank for months at a time, though. Best to burn it.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 AM
alame
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EG Ultra Classic
I burn 10% Ethanol blend regular all the time in all my gas motors and scoots. No problems. it has a bit higher octane rating of 89 where regular is 87. I wouldn't leave any kind of fuel sit around in a fuel tank for months at a time, though. Best to burn it.
I agree on the above, I've used it more times than not cause sometimes thats all there is and I ain't walking, never had any problems whatsoever with car, bike, truck.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

The thing wrong with Ethanol is it's hygroscopic (sp?) ANY alcohol draws water from the air and mixes readily with it. It's the water causing the problem, and to my knowledge there's NOTHING you can mix with the fuel to prevent it, including Stabil. Either burn it or drain the tank. That's the only reliable solution.

Quick Reply: Ethanol Gum Up the Works?