Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ultra in my immediate future

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lkr0
having had 3 touring bikes in the last three years (07 SG, 08 RG, 09 RG) I can honestly say HD got TBW issue worked out.

When I got my 08 RG I hated the TBW, the best compliment that I have to offer is that I don't even notice it on my 09.

The 08 made want to have my 07 back; now I just want to ride--good luck with your new bike.
It's good to hear confirmation of the TBW issues being taken care of. I know I'll love the bike.

Thanks again,

John

Old 02-18-2009, 12:05 PM
jivo
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your scoot man. I love mine and don't have any problems with the TBW. Can't wait until the crap is off the road so I can get it back out.

Have fun!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wooah John! You are having a longer wait than me!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I have thought abought giving them time to grow on me, but I just don't see it happenin'. To me they completely spoil the look of the bike. I know that flats are a big pain in the a$$ and so is keeping them clean but I can't get past the butt-fugliness (to my eyes) of those cast spokes.

Thanks very much for posting and stay safe out there.

John
Hey John,
You might consider going with the Cast wheels, then have them chromed. I don't recall the Forum member who did this, but DAMN did they look sharp chromed!!!

Just another thought for ya.

Riding season here in CO is weird; sometimes you'll get good riding in throughout April, then find crappy weather again in May...Just gotta ride when ya can!

It it late March / early April yet?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm a big Ultra fan. The first pc of advice from the dealer when I orderd my first in 1998 (1999 Model) was strongly, no very strongly consider cast wheels. Keep in mind people were waiting 12 months for new bikes back then. The dealer had no motivation for selling me on cast wheels other than a flat in the middle of nowhere with tubed tires can be a ruined weekend/trip. A flat with cast wheels can delay you an hour. They told me if you plan on riding it anywhere but around the neighborhood, cast wheels were the way to go. And then of course there's the age old question, would you buy a touring bike to ride around the neighborhood??

Listen to all the input you can get but whatever you do, regardless of your choice, enjoy it.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If anybody has any advice, pro and/or con, please know that I would appreciate hearing it ASAP!

Thanks in advance and y'all ride safe out there.

John
Congrats on the new bike. It takes a lot of work to keep wire wheels clean, especially on a bagger. And good luck trying to plug a flat. My advice would be to get the stock wheels, and maybe have them chromed if you want a custom look.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

When I was at the dealer's yesterday figuring up the deal on this bike, he said he was giving me a smokin' deal and that he didn't care if I called around to see if anybody would beat it. I thought what the hell and called a couple of other dealers and now I've got a 3-way bidding war going and it looks like I'll end up getting an additional $1000 break. Out the door for $22,950 including 8.16% tax. Just for making a couple of phone calls. Cool!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:40 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Congrats on the new bike. It takes a lot of work to keep wire wheels clean, especially on a bagger. And good luck trying to plug a flat. My advice would be to get the stock wheels, and maybe have them chromed if you want a custom look.

I'm not a fan of the new cast wheels, but I hafta say that solid chrome on them looks DAMN good!

How much did it cost to get it done and where did you send them?

Thanks,

John

Old 02-19-2009, 03:48 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Wink

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Hey John,
You might consider going with the Cast wheels, then have them chromed. I don't recall the Forum member who did this, but DAMN did they look sharp chromed!!!

Just another thought for ya.

Riding season here in CO is weird; sometimes you'll get good riding in throughout April, then find crappy weather again in May...Just gotta ride when ya can!

It it late March / early April yet?

Man, ya got that right! This winter hasn't been too bad. In fact it's had more ride-able days than any I can remember. Lookin' forward to those nice warm-to-scorching-hot summer days though. I'm thinkin a trip out to the Grand Canyon this summer.

Ride safe,

John

Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Hey Thorey,

When you have time, could you elaborate on what the dealer had to do? Is Top Notch a program that it comes with, or is that just saying that you've had no problems since the dealer fixed it. Also, was it an early manufacture-date '09? I have heard that some of the early ones had this issue.

Thanks again for your input and stay safe,

John
John,

Sorry...John, It took forever for me to respond. Dealer had to hook the 'puter on my bike and correct the EFI system. Dunno how ?. I wasn't in the mechanic's way when he worked on my bike. Only explained that the calibration was off which he had to set it up to Factory Spec's. Mechanic test started, rode my bike for a good few miles and asked me to repeat the procedure myself which I did. What I meant by 'Top Notch' was that my bike ran whole a lot better than it previously did.

Couldn't speculate if it's being blamed on early-built bikes, but they had problems on the '08 bikes too. Harley corrected the problematic situation, but it appears that 'The Problem' didn't go away on some of the '09 bikes. No big deal.

Other than the off-calibration, I truly love my bike so much as I've already put over 2,000 miles in 1.5 months last fall before it went into hibernation for the winter months. Currently am itching to ride these days as I drool for other new EC and UC owners posting their pixs on this site.

Delightful Bonding,

Thorey

Quick Reply: New Ultra in my immediate future