Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ultra in my immediate future

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tima
Kill switch died on mine, the only problem if that's a problem. Just quit working, had to use the ignition switch to kill it. The red and gold was my favorite but I didn't want to wait and the flame blue is a nice color. Order an adjustable back rest if you haven't done it yet. Best add on I've bought. Have fun and post some pics when it comes in. Man, I love this bike!
Thanks for the reply. I assume they got your kill switch working again under warranty. I'll do the pics the day I get it.

Ride safe,

John

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-18-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
After many years of vascilating (is that spelled right?) I'm gonna take the plunge & order a new Ultra. Been riding since I was six and now that I'm sixty, I figure it's now or never. Never had a bike with a fairing and never thought I'd get one. Took a demo ride a while back, shouldn't have done that, now I'm screwed! Oh well... I'm a geezer now, so why not have the appropriate 'Glide to go along with it?

It'll be red & gold with wire wheels and no other options. My dealer pretty much volunteered a straight $1000 off MSRP. I had shopped around and no other Denver area dealers are giving any discounts at all and most acted really irritated when I asked for one - so f**k them - my a$$ going out the door is the last they'll see of me!

I like the guys at the dealership that I'm doing business with anyway. It's High Country Harley-Davidson and they seem like just regular guys. This dealership used to suck bigtime, but it changed hands and now its really great. Don't know much about the service dept, I do all my own wrenching, but the sales and parts guys are awesome.

I haven't seen any threads complaining about any common problems with the '09's so I'm assuming that they're pretty reliable and trouble free if you leave them in stock configuration. I ran a poll when they first came out and it showed that over 96% of the responders had had no real issues at all.

I was pretty leary of the TBW system, but it sounds like the MOCO has finally worked the bugs out of it.

If anybody has any advice, pro and/or con, please know that I would appreciate hearing it ASAP!

Thanks in advance and y'all ride safe out there.

John

John,
I've not heard much good from High Country, but I guess you will hear all different views.

Personally speaking, my dealer is (and will be as long as I'm in CO), Greeley H-D. Their VIP Maintenance program makes service a breeze (yeah, you pay for it up front, but every service is covered for as long as you own the bike, nothing more out of pocket). If you're like me and ride a lot, it pays for itself by the 12,500 service.

My '07 Ultra was incredible and I did not think that the MoCo could improve on the bike. Boy was I wrong when I did the demo ride(s) in Sturgis last August. So much so, that I was offered an opportunity to do an Extended Demo ride so H-D could video the 5 of us for their Touring Video.

The TBW is, IMO, much more responsive and the new suspension and wider rear tire make for a much more stable platform.

I can guarantee you'll have a non-stop smile, once you have the new scoot!

Don't ya just love all the beautiful rides we have here in CO?

Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Red face

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
John,
I've not heard much good from High Country, but I guess you will hear all different views.

Personally speaking, my dealer is (and will be as long as I'm in CO), Greeley H-D. Their VIP Maintenance program makes service a breeze (yeah, you pay for it up front, but every service is covered for as long as you own the bike, nothing more out of pocket). If you're like me and ride a lot, it pays for itself by the 12,500 service.

My '07 Ultra was incredible and I did not think that the MoCo could improve on the bike. Boy was I wrong when I did the demo ride(s) in Sturgis last August. So much so, that I was offered an opportunity to do an Extended Demo ride so H-D could video the 5 of us for their Touring Video.

The TBW is, IMO, much more responsive and the new suspension and wider rear tire make for a much more stable platform.

I can guarantee you'll have a non-stop smile, once you have the new scoot!

Don't ya just love all the beautiful rides we have here in CO?

Good Luck!
I completely agree with you on High Country's bad rep. They totally sucked until just recently when they got rid of the old guard and moved others into management. So far, so good anyway.

Yeah, in my opinion Colorado, and especially this part of it, is the greatest place on earth to ride, work, live etc.

Keep the shiny side up,

John

Last edited by jpooch00; 02-19-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky1
Congrats on the ride,You'll enjoy it,if I we're you I'd get the ABS,its a nice feature to have.Have an 08 ultra,never had any problems at all,wouldn't trade it for anything.
Good Luck and Ride Safe.
I agree with Sparky - get the ABS.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 AM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new scoot! Why are you waiting until June?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
mkbrower
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I hear ya. The only reason I'm going with laced is that those new cast wheels are so butt-fugly to me.

Thanks,

John
When I first laid eyes on th 09 wheels I thought the same thing. After having nothing but spokes, I really wanted the cast wheels. I was very disappointed. Anyway, after looking at ultras for two months and owning my own for two months, the wheels have grown on me. It just took some time. My brother also thought the wheels were ugly but likes them now. You may just have to give them time.

Mark

Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

having had 3 touring bikes in the last three years (07 SG, 08 RG, 09 RG) I can honestly say HD got TBW issue worked out.

When I got my 08 RG I hated the TBW, the best compliment that I have to offer is that I don't even notice it on my 09.

The 08 made want to have my 07 back; now I just want to ride--good luck with your new bike.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

[QUOTE=UltraTheo;4574791]Congrats on the new scoot! Why are you waiting until June?[/QUOT

Hey, thanks. I'm waiting till june so that I can save up a larger down payment to keep the financed payments lower. Plus, here in Colorado, that's when the really good riding weather starts.

Ride safe,

John

Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkbrower
When I first laid eyes on th 09 wheels I thought the same thing. After having nothing but spokes, I really wanted the cast wheels. I was very disappointed. Anyway, after looking at ultras for two months and owning my own for two months, the wheels have grown on me. It just took some time. My brother also thought the wheels were ugly but likes them now. You may just have to give them time.

Mark
I like the cast rims and I think they are one of the best looking sets they have put on the Ultras.

Oh yeah, get the ABS.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by mkbrower

Mark
I have thought abought giving them time to grow on me, but I just don't see it happenin'. To me they completely spoil the look of the bike. I know that flats are a big pain in the a$$ and so is keeping them clean but I can't get past the butt-fugliness (to my eyes) of those cast spokes.

Thanks very much for posting and stay safe out there.

John

Quick Reply: New Ultra in my immediate future