Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions, FLHX vs FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
RomeoKilo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need opinions, FLHX vs FLHR

Ok guys I'm looking for opinions. The wife likes riding with me and we are constantly talking about wanting a touring bike. We don't go on long road trips all that often but when we do or even just cruising around town it seems like it would be really nice to have all the touring bikes offer.

We figured that it wouldn't be feasible or sensible to trade such a new bike but to my surprise they offered me a very good deal on a trade. I was very surprised to say the least. So with the wifes blessing we are going Saturday to look and talk some serious numbers. I told the dealer I was thinking about a road king and he has a black one with security and cruise and that he would put a hold sticker on it in until we go look in Case I want it. Now I'm trying to decide if the radio and fairing are worth the extra money for the street glide. I want a good amount of wind protection. Is the SG fairing better than a windshield?

I'm sorry for the long post just lookin for some opinions and such. One other thing I like that the SG is lower considering Im 5 9 so I would probobally want to lower the the king if that's what we get. Thanks for reading and I'm posting from an iPhone so bare with me as it's a pain to type on.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,230 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Get the FLHX

Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Street Glide for the following reasons:

1) I feel like the fairing does offer better protection, especially to the hands and forearms which are not shielded at all on the RK.
2) If height is a factor you may be looking through the RK shield instead of over it - a big no no in my book but many folks are fine with it. The stock SG shield looks great but is a joke in the protection department. I replaced it with the Clearview model shield with the upper recurve.
3) I liked the seating position on the SG better - lower and thighs/knees together more.
4) I'm a pilot and I loved the look of all the gauges in the SG fairing. I hated having to actually look down to see the speedo on the RK.
5) Music!!!

Even though I didn't get one, The RK did have some advantages:

1) Better lighting up front for safety/visibility. You can add aux lights to the SG but IMO that detracts from the clean lines of the bike.
2) Ability to remove the shield for intown riding or short trips where you want to feel the wind in your face.

Hope I didn't drone on too long. Test ride them both back to back and see if you don't agree with me on most points. Bottom line is, you really can't go wrong with either bike!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
RomeoKilo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kjmorgan- thanks for the reply, very apreciated you have some good points. Is your bike blue denim? The dealer has a used 08 in that color but they want 18k for It and it seems like that's not enough of a savings to get used considering the upgrades I've been reading about. I do love that color on the SG though, just looks plain sharp.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really comes down to personal choice of course.

Having said that, I had a 2005 RK Classic. Got totaled when someone thought they needed my lane more than I did.

I replaced it with a 2006 Street Glide.

If I had to replace this one it would be with another Street Glide.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 PM
icehead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going through the same decision you ae right now. I really love the Road King looks, but for what i need the Ultra or the Street Glide will make more sense from a practical standpoint. I mean commuting, two up with the wife, just rolling with some friends....The Bat Wing is starting to look pretty good.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:52 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also went from the RK to the SG and no plans on going back.

Admittedly - It's hard to find a bike with "more character" than a RK. There's a bike that you can personalize in a classy way to the point where you can identify yours in a row of 100 more from 100 yards - without getting "gaughty."

But man... I just love the SG... Platonically speaking, of course. The fairing took some getting used to (like around 3 blocks...) the seating position is - at least for me, no contest. Not that you can't put Heritage bars on a RK...

The radio - which I thought I'd never use - I love on long trips. Nothing like a little AM flavor to find the local Americana. Gauges, cig lighter (a.k.a. "power source" if needed), the sleek lines... It's the whole package, IMO.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I test-rode the SG extensively while deciding which '09 to buy and ended up with a Road King for the following reasons:

1) The RK's windshield provided better protection. The wind blast that comes up from under the Batwing is quite strong.
2) The Batwing made the low speed handling feel noticeably heavier.
3) Passing lamps
4) Passenger floorboards
5) Classic looks
6) Removable windshield ... didn't want to bake behind a big fairing in hot weather.
7) Didn't need a radio, the motor makes enough music...

If you're into Batwings, give the EGC a look. For the same price as an SG you get a Tour-Pak, passing lamps, passenger floorboards and a more comfortable touring seat.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 AM
BC Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean lines of the street glide did it for me. I didn't care for the seating position on the road king. The tunes were an added bonus. I have ended up riding on longer trips and have really enjoyed the comfort of the street glide. That being said test ride them both if you can.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the SG specifically for those times that we would want to travel long distance. I personally think the SG looks killer all stripped down for around town cruising. Then add a tourpak, larger windshield and hit the road for long distance rides. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Need opinions, FLHX vs FLHR