Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions, FLHX vs FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
While for some reason a lot of us bikers are attracted to the SG, non-bikers and most women like the RK more.
Interesting observation ... that's exactly how my wife felt.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bias but why not an EGC? You get a decent windshield, seat, passenger floorboards, saddlebag rails and tourpak for same money and can always get detachables. And if you want two-tone paint you can get it for what it would cost to add those items to the SG. I don't get how they charge the same for less on the SG. Take a look at some pic in my album if your interested on how I cleaned up my EGC.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to choose between the 2 I would go for the Street Glide. You'll love the fairing & the radio.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Concrete Cowboy 2009
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have neither, but I'm getting ready to order the Road King. Here is my reasoning:

1. It seems as though the Street Glide is everybody's choice, and I tend not to follow the crowd.
2. I like the option to take the wind shield off.
3. I am 22, and I think the RK looks like a younger bike.
4. Its cheaper.

I do like the idea of the extra guages in the fairing though. Just my opinion, and probably ain't worth much. I think you'll love which ever one you end up with.

God Bless!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 AM
RomeoKilo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gmc & peppa - Your bikes look awesome. I love the way the ultras and classics look with the tourpack removed. The batwings have really grown on me. It's weird but when I first started riding about 4 years ago I didn't like them at all. Now they just look classy and comfy, lol. Its the same with the Road Glides. My bud from work rode with me to the HD dealer and as soon as he saw the Road Glide he said damn, why did you let me come here. He ended up riding one home. At the time I thought it looked out of place, but the more I see them they are nice looking bikes.

Just got off the phone with the wife. She's gonna see if she can take leave on Friday so we can go look then.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM
wbeem
Tourer

Buy 'em both!

I have a 2003 Road King Classic and I'm happy with it. Though I do think the Street Glide is an attractive bike, the RKC works better for me. I'm not that big of a fan of the batwing fairing. I also learned (on a Road Glide rental) that I don't like having music playing while I'm riding. It distracts my attention from my surroundings. I don't want to be jamming along to some nice tunes and forget to turn my head while changing lanes because I was "sure" there wasn't a car already there. I like to hear the road noise around me as part of my perception of who's near me.

I do like the looks of the leather bags with the RKC. When I bought them, Harley didn't have locks, so I got some from a vendor (www.lockyourleathers.com) and they're great. Very sturdy, keyed to my ignition key, and no one ever broke into them. Those leather bags also seem to hold a bit more than the hard bags.

It's very configurable. I can load on the tour pack and windshield or strip them off very easily for whatever look or situation I need. Also, I added some bags on the guard rails in front of the saddlebags, and I don't think that rail exists on the SG. It's a good place to stuff my rain suit without reducing my luggage capacity.

The stock saddle on the Road King is a piece of crap, though. Spongy, unsupportive, and just generally inferior. That's why I got a Corbin Dual Tour saddle with a driver backrest. Now that's traveling in comfort and style. I don't know why Harley can't deliver a decent motorcycle saddle, but it's generally the first thing I replace on any bike.

These are the things I like about my Road King. They may not be what you want, but take some time and think about your preferences. Both are fine bikes.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
bobbydeuce
Cruiser

I bought a RK because I love cruising the So. Calif coast with the wind in my face, but for long trips I'm thinking of buying a quick release fairing, any opinions on these ?

http://www.tsukayu.com/QuickDetachableFairing.html

Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Interesting observation ... that's exactly how my wife felt.
LOL! My wife wanted me to buy the RK. Look at signature

Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Having had both I can say that is a tough decision. Nothing has the nostalgic look of a Roadking and no bagger is as slick as a Streetglide. I prefer the Streetglide due to the fairing, radio & gauges however, they can both be changed to suit your particular needs (riding position, ride height, etc) and probably will be changed anyway. So, that being said, if I were you, I would buy whichever one aesthetically appealed to me better and make it my own.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
RK05
Advanced

Buy a RoadKing and get a detachable fairing to go with it. That way you can have three looks with one bike. If you need the gauges though go with the FLHX.

Quick Reply: Need opinions, FLHX vs FLHR