Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missing stripe application

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default missing stripe application

just got my Hell's Foundry missing stripe decals and find the provided application instructions to be bouderline useless. the provided instructions show and describe applying a straight line stripe on a gas tank, while the side cover missing stripe is an S over a very contoured shape. although I am willing and do attempt almost anything, I am reluctant to trash $60 in dacals without first applying the 7 P's (proper pror planning prevents **** poor performance). as is, and reading what I have, I almost feel like I need to take my decals to a decal shope for installation. and that just plain rubs me wrong.

some detailed tips/instructions would be appreciated either in this thread or via PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:52 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain

I cut mine down to a manageable size, then used blue carpenters tape to get them where I wanted them while the cover was still on the bike.
Then removed the cover and went inside to the kitchen table and installed per the directions, don't stretch them, take it slow, remve the bubbles as you go.
Make sure you clean the covers good with alchohol....you may use alchohol once you're finished!!
Just take it slow and easy....not too bad at all and it does make a difference!
I also applied several apps of wax once I was finished.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain

So oley......did you get your stripes on??

Old 02-21-2009, 05:08 PM
jayman720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oley55
some detailed tips/instructions would be appreciated either in this thread or via PM.
Great.

I'm waiting on mine to arrive.

You've got me scared...

Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to use to apply the stripe and activate the glue is get a spray bottle and add 2 parts water and 1 part alcohol in equal amounts with 3 drops of mild dish soap. This will clean the area and allow you to activate the glue

Clean area first

Spray the area really well keeping it wet with the solution, spray your clean fingers with the solution to get them wet while while pealing the backing away and spray the backside of the stripe

Lay the tape down in the area you want to stripe, make sure you move it to the desired area you want

Use the flexible squeege that should be in the kit starting from the middle to one end working the bubbles and excess fluid from under the tape.

Repeat the same for the other direction of stripe. Work it slowly from the middle to the end to get all bubbles and fluid out

Let it dry for a hour and your ready to ride.

If you see a bubble appear us a good sewing needle to pop a small ***** in it and work the area gently with your squegee or finger. It should remove the fluid and air

Hope this helps

Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

pictures please

Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
mkbrower
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
One thing to use to apply the stripe and activate the glue is get a spray bottle and add 2 parts water and 1 part alcohol in equal amounts with 3 drops of mild dish soap. This will clean the area and allow you to activate the glue

Clean area first

Spray the area really well keeping it wet with the solution, spray your clean fingers with the solution to get them wet while while pealing the backing away and spray the backside of the stripe

Lay the tape down in the area you want to stripe, make sure you move it to the desired area you want

Use the flexible squeege that should be in the kit starting from the middle to one end working the bubbles and excess fluid from under the tape.

Repeat the same for the other direction of stripe. Work it slowly from the middle to the end to get all bubbles and fluid out

Let it dry for a hour and your ready to ride.

If you see a bubble appear us a good sewing needle to pop a small ***** in it and work the area gently with your squegee or finger. It should remove the fluid and air

Hope this helps
This is good advice. As a ex-bodyman, this is how I put on all decals and stripes. If you don't have a sqegee, a plastic (BONDO) spreader works well. The longer you let the decal dry, the less chance you have of pulling the stripe back up. I usually waited 24hrs. If the release paper pulls the stripe up it can stretch causing distortion and also cause air bubbles which are hard to get rid of. I don't like to use a pin to "pop" the air bubbles as they sometimes get worse as the stripe ages.

Mark

Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

They sure look good once installed.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,713 Likes on 1,530 Posts
Arrow my 2 cents

I Have them on my 2007 FLTR. I agree the instructions are poor. Put the left side one on first, so you can learn from your mistakes. Make sure the bike is straight up; not on the sidestand. I put mine on the jack but left the tires on the ground. I test fit some pieces of masking tape to match the edges of the stock stripes. Once you get a feel for matching the edges, remove the masking tape, clean the sidecovers with alcohol, and have at it.

They look really good once they are on.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,275 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Thanks for the picture that does look nice.

Quick Reply: missing stripe application