Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missing stripe application

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwoozn
So oley......did you get your stripes on??
yes and they came out pretty well. but I am so **** about stuff I'm not as happy as I could be. I did end up with a couple tiny bubbles on both sides at the big curve. an issue of trying to keep it taught and pulling in one direction when the piece isn't a straight piece. the directions show how to apply a straight piece along a gas tank.. but no hints about applying a curved decal.

weird about lining up the stripes with the bag stripes though. one side lined up lower on the side cover than the other. so before I when further than the masking tape, I loosened the bag support bar and pin plates to make sure they were all seated the same and the alignment was still different. so I went ahead and installed them lined up with the bag stripes. finished they both look good and flow with the bag lines, but with the two side covers side by side, you would say, "one is lower than the other." Don't know if I overlooked something or if others have the same observation.

as to the note here about the water/alcohol/soap solution. seems iffy to put liquids under an adhesive tape, but it's probably a great tip. But..............? I wish I had a few scrap stripes of any shape or color to play with before applying these. If I were to do all over again, I'd head over to a local sign/decal shop and buy some whatever and apply it for practice.

Last edited by oley55; 02-22-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

No that it's done, got any pics? But don't worry about the side cover stripes not being exactly the same. If the only time you can tell a difference is when they are off the bike and side-by-side, then sound like they look great. Like a buddy of mine always says, "No-one's forehead is wide enough to see both sides at the same time." In the future, the advise given by FLTR2008TRIKE is the best way to go. A lot of times, the small bubbles that may appear after installation will go away on their own. Especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Last resort is the pin ***** idea.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 AM
littlebear
Tourer

Yes they can be a "Bitch" don't ask me how I know!! Cut them to just slighty bigger that the stripe, wish I had the advice posted here b4 I did mine. Such a small thing and man did it **** me off, ought to replace mine but I am probably the only one who see's my screw up....good luck

Old 02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
oley55
Road Captain

this puter stuff is too difficult for me. just tried to add a pic to my sig but don't know if that worked and I think I just attached a pic this this message (I think)

Attached Thumbnails missing stripe application-tiger-with-stripe.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oley55
this puter stuff is too difficult for me. just tried to add a pic to my sig but don't know if that worked and I think I just attached a pic this this message (I think)
From this distance it looks GREAT! Nice work!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
molsen
Road Master

Originally Posted by oley55
yes and they came out pretty well. but I am so **** about stuff I'm not as happy as I could be. I did end up with a couple tiny bubbles on both sides at the big curve. an issue of trying to keep it taught and pulling in one direction when the piece isn't a straight piece. the directions show how to apply a straight piece along a gas tank.. but no hints about applying a curved decal.

weird about lining up the stripes with the bag stripes though. one side lined up lower on the side cover than the other. so before I when further than the masking tape, I loosened the bag support bar and pin plates to make sure they were all seated the same and the alignment was still different. so I went ahead and installed them lined up with the bag stripes. finished they both look good and flow with the bag lines, but with the two side covers side by side, you would say, "one is lower than the other." Don't know if I overlooked something or if others have the same observation.

as to the note here about the water/alcohol/soap solution. seems iffy to put liquids under an adhesive tape, but it's probably a great tip. But..............? I wish I had a few scrap stripes of any shape or color to play with before applying these. If I were to do all over again, I'd head over to a local sign/decal shop and buy some whatever and apply it for practice.
I had the same problem with mine. I thought I was losing my mind. I had a buddy help me and he aggreed that the 1 was lower than anotyher. It was a PITA with the curves. Still had a bubble on 1 side. Although it does make the scoot complete. Would do it again. Then again '09s have that now. Oh well.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM
sprint12
Road Warrior

I applied mine like FLTR2008TRIKE did, no problems. Gives you a little time to get it straight. Mine lined up lower on one side compared to the other also. I don't have any pic's of mine yet...

Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
mtb017
Advanced

Oley, I put them on my Candy Red 08 Road Glide and they make all the difference in the look. PITA to put on, but slow and easy does it. The difference in the left and right side is because the two side covers are a different depth due to the the ABS units on the 08's. Stripes in the same place , the just look different due to the depth of the plastic covers. hope this explains to everyone. Nice people at Hells Foundry too, btw!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain

I know this is a bit off the subject, but does anyone except me wish they had left the stripes off? It would be different if they were painted, but I would have prefered a solid color w/ no stickers.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
oley55
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gary_montague
I know this is a bit off the subject, but does anyone except me wish they had left the stripes off? It would be different if they were painted, but I would have prefered a solid color w/ no stickers.

I dunno about that. when you go back an look at those 03 Screamin Eagle Rodglides, that Eagle and stripes leading back just put it all together for me.

But then I guess it depends on the color. I can not imagine what mine would look like without the black stipes. Orange n' black = Harley Colors. All orange and I mite as well be riding one of them there bright yeollow chicken wing bike.

Quick Reply: missing stripe application