Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Roadblocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
I have to disagree with you on your statement. I had a friend that was t-boned by a truck at an intersection and was killed. The driver said he only had 2 beers and was proven by blood tests that he only had about 2 beers. It was "Just two beers" that killed my friend. So if you drink you SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD PERIOD! And if you get caught then it is your own fault and should face the music!
Sorry for the loss of your friend and I support keeping drunk drivers off the roads but I disagree with your definitive statement that it was "just two beers" that killed your friend. Maybe. But, maybe that driver would have t-boned your friend even if he had not had any beers. It happens all the time, unfortunately. I have been struck at least four times (but not on my bike) by other drivers at fault and on not one of those occasions had the other driver been drinking.

I don't know if those two beers made that driver fail the test but, if not, than a roadblock would not have prevented the accident.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to disagree with you on your statement. I had a friend that was t-boned by a truck at an intersection and was killed. The driver said he only had 2 beers and was proven by blood tests that he only had about 2 beers. It was "Just two beers" that killed my friend. So if you drink you SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD PERIOD! And if you get caught then it is your own fault and should face the music!
+1

Maybe I have gotten too old to catch things as quick as I use to. I do not believe in drinking and riding/driving or using medication/drugs that alter your thinking. Alcohol is a a mind altering drug. I welcome roadblocks it helps take the drivers that should not be on the road off the road. I pay $700 for uninsured motorist because they do not have enough roadblocks and the judges are too soft with those that do not have any insurance.
I am not speaking out against anyone. As a counselor (drug/alcohol) I have to deal with a lot of damage that 2 beers has caused. I have seen a couple go to prison for 15 years for 2 beers.
Take em home and relax
dd

Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree having a DWI checkpoint is one thing, but targeting bikers just to make money is bullsh..it.

We are in the worst economy since the great depression, so lawmakers say let's target bikers and write tickets and hope they just pay um and not fight...............

Next thing will be all bikers have to wear orange vests and helmets with a running light on top...............

Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
You think it's hilarious? You may be hilarious. I stand by what I posted. It's main point was not historical but, in fact, Patrick Henry was a leading force in the inclusion of the Bill of Rights. In fact, he insisted on the Bill of Rights before the adoption and ratification of the Constitution.

The ball's in your court.
Ooh, look! Someone found Wikipedia. Yes, you're still hilarious. The Bill of Rights were the first ten amendments AFTER the constitution was ratified. Once again, get your history straight. Patrick Henry was a fear monger.

Last edited by wbeem; 02-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This was done enroute to Americade in NYS last year. looking for license, reg, insurance.. and DWI.. many tickets and many arrests. I work hard for what i have and play by the rules, those that don;t give others that do a black mark when caught or worst cause a death

Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride legal at all times and don't feel I should have to prove it to anybody. JMO

Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Chasenfish
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scoteh
I ride legal at all times and don't feel I should have to prove it to anybody. JMO
Same here, if I'm riding/driving on my own property.

But as soon as I hit a public highway, there are additional rules. For you historians, the constitution doesn't say anything about driving... there weren't even vehicles back then. The courts determine what is and isn't constitutional, and they've determined that traffic roadblocks are. We don't each get to choose what we think is constitutional. If we don't want to subject ourselves to roadblocks, that's easy. Just stay off the public roads.

Law enforcement has a job to do, and if it inconveniences me for a couple of minutes, so be it. Too many people make poor choices, then want to blame someone else for their trouble or their choices. Laws exist for all of us, and if we don't like a particular law, we lobby our legislators to change it (or to prevent it from being passed in the first place). We don't get to pick and choose which laws we obey, or which to ignore. In most states, mine included, if we modify the exhaust to anything louder than original factory equipment, it's illegal. But many of us take our chances and do it anyway. I'm not going to blame someone else for my choice, or claim that the enforcement is unconstitutional.

I applaud everyone who voices their opinion, and lobbies their legislature for changes in the law. Even those with whom I might not agree. God bless America, and thanks to all the vets who have made us free!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I knew this would come. I am sorry for your loss, I had a long response written but decided to delete it. It's not worth time arguing, you are entitled to your opinion. I wholeheartedly agree with txfxstrider's statement and personally, I don't think two beers killed your buddy, I think a careless driver did, happens every single day:
.....I support drunk drivers off the roads but I disagree with your definitive statement that it was "just two beers" that killed your friend. Maybe. But, maybe that driver would have t-boned your friend even if he had not had any beers. It happens all the time, unfortunately. I have been struck at least four times (but not on my bike) by other drivers at fault and on not one of those occasions had the other driver been drinking.
I don't know if those two beers made that driver fail the test but, if not, than a roadblock would not have prevented the accident.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I don't mind road blocks but just pulling over bikes is BS.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't ever ride there.....mainly it's too far away and NY doesn't support OUR 2nd ammendment rights!!!!!

I agree roadblocks are illegal.....it boils down to unlawful search/seizure!!! If they suspect you of DWI or any other criminal activity, fine, pull you over with just cause.... we don't need a Gestapo state!!!!!

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Quick Reply: Biker Roadblocks