Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone keep their bike stock (engine/exhaust)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:10 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone keep their bike stock (engine/exhaust)?

ORIGINAL: skater69

Renting an '06 EG classic tomorrow. Rented one before several months ago....don't own an HD yet. But the EG I rented before was bone stock. Rode it all day. I really liked the sound of the stock pipes. It's not like a stock Honda which is barely audible. The Harley sounded ....well...like a Harley. And the power was adequate for the cruising I was doing. I have a Honda Blackbird so if I want real power, I ride that.
Dunno bike sounded awfully good to me and rode well. If I bought one, not sure I'd want to change out the pipes or it might annoy my ears (w/earlpugs) after awhile. I like sound but really louder pipes.....don't know if there would be anything positive for me.

Anybody ride their touring rig stock as far as engine/exhaust?
Are you sure it was stock? I had a EG make a turn in front of me the other day (I was stopped and idling) and he was very quiet. My SE pipes are just right IMHO.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 PM
slacker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skulls and flames

Loud Pipes Save Lives
I love how this piece of misinformation is continually repeated. There is zero statistical evidence that loud pipes do anything but **** off your neighbors. In fact there are several people who share this opinion about loud pipes:

Do Loud pipes really save lives? Maybe they'll help draw attention but think about this little neuro-physiological auditory factoid. When people are startled by a noise, they tend to turn their head in that direction. When they're at the wheel, they tend to steer a car where they turn their head. So when you come blasting up alongside some elderly gent in a Lincoln Towncar, don't wonder why he veers toward you when you scare the hoot out of him.
Also this tidbit makes a lot of sense based on the recent discussions about polution from bikes (both exhaust and noise) and possible legislation against it...

loud pipes could certainly save lives by getting bikes banned so fewer people ride
Here is a little research on what is wrong with loud pipes. Definitely worth the read.

I especially like this quote:

"First, a word on motorcycle safety: If you've put yourself in a position where someone has to see [hear] you in order for you to be safe -- to see [hear] you, and to give a f**k -- you've already blown it."
My personal preference is to not install loud pipes. Better pipes? Sure. Louder pipes? Not a chance. And if you choose to get louder pipes you are forcing your wants on everyone around you. My neighbor right down the street has a Road Glide with VERY loud pipes. And 3 or 4 times a week when he rides in at 10 and 11 pm he wakes up my 2 year old son. That just flat out pisses me off, and when I find a way I will help him out with a noise polution ticket from a friendly LEO.

If you want to upgrade, upgrade. But have some respect and common courtesy to those of us you are forcing to live with your decision.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:16 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running straight stock and will until I wear them out. Two reasons: I like to tour and even with stock, your ears are going to be ringing after a day in the saddle; I paid a %*#$& -load of money for this motorcycle and there's something about turning around and pouring a &#$*$ - load more money into a $21,000 toy that grates against my ornery frugal ways.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 PM
103FLHX
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope!

[&:]
ORIGINAL: skater69

Anybody ride their touring rig stock as far as engine/exhaust?

PipeDADDY
Road Captain

turning around and pouring a &#$*$ - load more money into a $21,000 toy that grates against my ornery frugal ways.
YES!!!!....still only lasted 6 months until i poured money into it.

bthrel
Advanced

Guess I'm a minority [sm=boohoo.gif] here, but my 06 Ultra is bone stock if you dont count the backoff XP break light flasher. I figure to save the money and spend it on premium gas so I can ride more [sm=biker2.gif]. Someday I imagine I might add a thing or two, but I do like the stock sound and performance.

Brian

Old 04-21-2006, 09:24 PM
venture33
Road Master

Riding an '06 FLHRS and the stock pipes are dissapointing.
Will add slip-ons soon, and will continue to upgrade as $$$ permit.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Pauljr
Cruiser

Do we have any Sail Boaters present?
Do we have any Offshore Boaters present ?
What are you ?

Old 04-21-2006, 09:51 PM
OH Bob
Cruiser

I happen to agree with Slacker!

In addition to aggravating the general populous, when riding a dresser any noise from louder exhausts becomes amplified. I suppose if I was just a local rider, the noise wouldn't be too irritating. However, if one rides 12 to 15 thousand miles a year, then the additional noise can be obnoxious, as well as inflicting PERMANENT hearing loss.
It only took one trip for me to realize that louder pipes were not for me, even with ear plugs. Oh well, to each their own!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

Mine is stock. Performance is good. I like to go touring and after a while the semi-quiet Harley is great. I don't need to draw attention or get a testoterone rush from loud pipes anymore. That just me. Not critisizing anybody else. My last bike had engine mods and Rhinehart pipes. I just enjoy hearing my radio and not having my ears ring after a long days ride. o each his own. Do what you want not what is the "Style".

Quick Reply: Anyone keep their bike stock (engine/exhaust)?