Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SERT

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
06glide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing SERT

How many of you have installed your own SERT ? Were the instructions easy to follow ? Does it explain the differant parameters of the tuner ? I have SE Slip-ons and the SE/AC and was thinking of installing the SERT. I realize that I will need a laptop with a serial port as well.

Thanks for your input

Old 04-21-2006, 05:39 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Default RE: Installing SERT

Some HD techs with SERT training can't even dial bikes in properly with a dyno. Good luck doing it yourself without a dyno! Worth it to pay a pro-tuner to get your bike precise. My guy tuned the bike on the fly with his left hand on the keyboard and right on the throttle, amazing to watch. Went through every gear/rpm to match up throttle settings and AFR and tuned each cylinder individually. Could not believe the number of adjustments involved! This is something that takes time and experience.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

This is good advice.
ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Some HD techs with SERT training can't even dial bikes in properly with a dyno. Good luck doing it yourself without a dyno! Worth it to pay a pro-tuner to get your bike precise. My guy tuned the bike on the fly with his left hand on the keyboard and right on the throttle, amazing to watch. Went through every gear/rpm to match up throttle settings and AFR and tuned each cylinder individually. Could not believe the number of adjustments involved! This is something that takes time and experience.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Loch
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just download a canned map to the bikes ECM. There will be a map that matches your SE slip-ons and air cleaner and you simply select it and download. It would be about as hard as posting on this forum. If you want to squeeze every last bit of torque and HP out you’ll need it tuned on a dyno. Otherwise just load a map like the dealerships have been doing for YEARS without subjecting the bike to a dyno. Some people like to over dramatize everything.
ORIGINAL: 06glide

How many of you have installed your own SERT ? Were the instructions easy to follow ? Does it explain the differant parameters of the tuner ? I have SE Slip-ons and the SE/AC and was thinking of installing the SERT. I realize that I will need a laptop with a serial port as well.

Thanks for your input

Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

Canned maps are not precise, but may be a good starting point depending on your mods and what you want to achieve. Dyno results can be DRAMATIC and may result in a bigger smile.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:14 PM
06glide
Cruiser

Thanks for the input so far guys...............

Old 04-21-2006, 06:21 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Canned maps are not precise, but may be a good starting point depending on your mods and what you want to achieve. Dyno results can be DRAMATIC and may result in a bigger smile.
I agree.

A canned map is fine as a baseline but the reality is the engines vary so much from one to the next that a canned map can not match your bike, even if you have the exact parts as described in the map. The combustion chamber volume and deck height vary considerable and dramatically effect the compression ratio. HD says the combustion chambers are 85cc's and most are in the 86-88cc range, but they vary from 84-90cc's. A canned map can not compensate for such differences in the engines, ONLY tuning can.

Check out this link as it will explain about the SERT .... https://www.hdforums.com/m_222256/tm.htm

Old 04-21-2006, 07:05 PM
KRATC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did it take to tune it? What did it cost, if I may ask?

Old 04-21-2006, 07:19 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

3 hours, $300. Cylinder temp has to be monitored closely to avoid overheating. Bike must be allowed to cool accasionally. On the fly tuning is the way to go!

Old 04-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i did my SERT with several maps...it took less than a minute...very easy....SERT was 450 bucks...then i had it dyno tuned for grins, it made almost 10 more hp & torque and sounds much better now, that costs another 3